!!!!!expert help please!!!!! id appreciate it (jonathan- maybe u cud help u seem pretty smart)

Bronze Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 20
im looking to put together a really good system soon and im coming up with all kinds of good ideas but im not sure if they are possible for me. im looking at these used US amps VLX-400 ... i wanted 2 of these to push 4 x.x.x subs ... but i was wondering if i could do this without having to put 6 batteries and caps in my car... also for an alternator what would i need... theses amps are 400 amp fuse... i was going to put a 200A alternator in the car. but then what would i need to power these. they are 1200w per channel at 1 ohm ... how many batteries would i have to put in my car and would i need to get a cap. i was thinging about a 5 farad. but ive heard caps are bad.... is this true? sorry for all the quesions im really confused. but my main issue is what would you use to power these amps?

Bronze Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 21
http://www.usamps.com/technical/pdf/wp800_99.pdf

go there to see the specs on the amp...

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 144
That is one beefy amp.....well seems to be by what that site said...sheeeesh, i think you gunna need a little more power than a 5 farad cap.....

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 298
Crikes! those are some serious amps.

If you plan on running two of those at 2400 watts each I'd say you'd need a helluva lot more alternator. I'm no expert, but I'd say you'd need one giant alternator of at least 600 amps. or a couple 300 ampers each running to a dedicated battery bank for each amp.

Will those subs even handle that much power(excursion wise)? I mean thats probably a very REAL 1200 watts to each.

However you slice it your talkin boocoo dolares for that system.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 22
can you even buy a 600A alternator ? and the x.x.x. subs have a 1600w RMS which is probably about what the us amp puts out per channel even though it says 1200. i hate how u have to spend so much money to power the stuff you jus spent a ton of money on!! grr.. maybe i;ll stick with 3 subs and a us amp de-3000 but im not sure i can find one in a few months like i can the VLX-400 ... which i was planning on 2 batteries and a 5 farad cap. i heard you need 1 farad for every 1000 watss? is that a good rule?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 300
If they do make one I bet its pricey and may not even be enough and I'd be worrying about an alternator long before a cap.

Back in the day the rule was 1 Farad per 1000 watts RMS, but I guess the rule now is 1 Farad per 1000 watts PEAK. I dunno. My cap creedo is that every little bit under those "rules" will help and every bit over won't hurt. Just remember that caps will put an extra load on your alternator so if ya need some more current do the alternator thing first.

-Fishy

[note] if you've fallen in love with that VLX-400, but are worried that you can't afford the required alternator, remember that with good sub selection and some creative impedance matching you can run that amp at 1200 watts or even 600 and it will still kickorz, especially from a SQ point of view. It'll draw 1/2 the current at 1200 watts and 1/4 at 600.

Bronze Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 23
thanks for the info and im not exactly attached to the VLX-400 ... jus the price... lol the de-3000 is more money for what i can get it for. but id rather have the de3000 and 3 subs... much easier. do you know someone with a huge system that i can talk to fishy?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 304
Nope, I've been a way from the car audio scene for a very very long time. My sub amp, bought brand new, is 15 years old and startin to show its age I believe(gets HOT).

After postin here for the past couple weeks I decided it was time for an upgrade so I have an old school(new school for me) Xtant 1001dx comin Thur. I'm just gettin back into the scene so I really don't know anyone with a BIG system.

Hell, 15 years ago my 400 watt PPI pro MOS-2050 was a pretty darn powerful sub amp. Now days its just chicken feed.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 797
lol i know what you mean fishy im one of those way back guys too heck i remember when the first 1000 mtx subs came out eveybody was like wow and when 200 watt rms 12 inch cerwin vegas were the standard

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 798
typo...the first 1000 watt rms mtx subs i meant

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 199
my god man; about the only thing I can say is I hope you have a machinist as a friend so he can make you an alternator bracket that will hold 3 (three) H/O alternators, powering a bank of yellow top batteries in the trunk next to this setup. You will probably need a friend in the glass business to pull all the glass out of your vehicle, and replace with plexi so that it won't explode, and yet another buddy in the car business that can give you a heck of deal on another mose of transportation, cause this ain't gonna be no sdaily driver.
By the way you can also look at zapco amps, they have a 4k version for around 5grand.

The nice thing is IT OUGHTA BUMP

Unregistered guest
I am interested in the VLX amps if you don't get them how much are they going for?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2231
Yep. No alternators I know of put out much over 300 amps, and that's custom in larger alternator casings. You'd have to fabricate mounting brackets and get a different belt, and wire a couple of alternators in parallel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us