Flip around

Anonymous

If you flip your subs around so the magnet is showing will it still pund just as hard as it would if the magnet was in the box and would you be able to hear the vocals better??

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 139
i haven't done it in a sealed, but if a sealed box was the case, then i think they would sound with no difference. in a ported enclosure though, the airspace inside will be increased, and i think it will drop the tuned htz.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 634
If you have a small box, you would probably notice a differeance. But really, there is no huge differance. Works best in sealed boxes. Its mostly for looks. I like it because its something you dont see alot of people do.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 198
if you do this don't forget to reverse the polarity. It also helps to put poly in since you will have more space which will help in essence making a bigger box.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 330
It may look goofy, but if you have a pair of subs running in a common enclosure fliipin one around and reversing polarity like koz said can make it sound better. I tried it with my ported box and didn't notice a real diffference, but theoretically it can help.

No speaker is perfect. They operate slightly different when moving out than when moving in due to an "imperfect" suspension. Assuming that same model speakers will perform the same "going in" as another of the same model and the same "going out" as the same model, then if you reverse one speaker in a common closure these "differences" will tend to be cancelled out.

I didn't keep this setup long because I thought it looked rather dorky and didn't notice a difference, but if you have a set of subs in a common enclosure(especially sealed) you might wanna give it a try, especially if you have some of those "less expensive subwoofers". That might have a bigger "out & in" differential.

I first read about this enclosure somewhere on the web. Sure wish I could remember where.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 643
I think it looks cool, but like you were saying, Fishy, I didnt notice a differance when i switched the polarity around. It was the same.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 331
Here's what I was talkin about. Its called a "Push-Pull" setup. The stuff about even order'd harmonic distortion cancelling out I don't understand. I guess that means speaker cones vibrate "differently" going one way than another.

A variation used in some cases is called "push pull", uses two active (electrically connected to the amplifier) drivers for the pushing and pulling. One driver is mounted inside the non vented box facing outward, and another is mounted outside, facing inward, with the two drivers electrically connected out of phase so that when the cone of one is being driven outward, away from the magnet, the other is being pulled inward, towards the magnet, both being actively driven by the amplifier. Because they're electrically out of phase, AND mechanically out of phase, they're acoustically in-phase. The primary benefit of this arrangement is that even ordered harmonic distortion from each driver is acoustically out of phase, due to the inverted mechanical orientation, and so cancels out, resulting in lower distortion. A secondary benefit, due to the presence of a second driver working in tandem, is an increase in efficiency of roughly 3 dB, assuming the drivers are fairly close to each other, so that two drivers have the potential for four times the output of a single driver. "Push-pull" arrangements can be used with either sealed or bass-reflex designs.

From here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1_1/v1n1spk.html

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us