Dynaudio 240 vs. Focal 165w

Bronze Member
Username: Jaysend

California

Post Number: 25
I do not know where to listen to dynaudio or anything good aside from focal.
I have heard the focal 165w and I liked it. It sounded very smooth and was not to harsh. It seemed a little lacking in midbass.
I have read glowing reviews about dynaudio all over.
what ever I get will be fed through a jl 300/4 amp.
I want to buy some components within the next week.
Also both come in 6.5 or 7" components, is 7" any better?
Thanks,
Jason

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1980
They are very close, but IMO the 7" is a little better. Dyns are more neutral than the Focals. Tweeter from the Utopia is a little brighter. Midbass is a little better from the Dyns. Overall, the Dyns are very warm and neutral, and extremely revealing of the material. Of course, the Focals are as well, both are excellent. Can't really tell you which you like more, both are very, very good.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaysend

California

Post Number: 26
I agree about the focal being brighter. I really dont like that too much. I am glad to hear you say the dynaudios are better in midbass because I wasnt too happy with the midbass from the focals. I think I am going to get the dyns!!

Thanks! If it wasnt for this board I never would have heard of dynaudio.

StanleyCh
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if the Focal 165K3P has better mids than the 165W. Theoretically it should since its a 3 way set; however, I am totally new to car audio so I wouldn't bet a cent on my own thoughts about speakers.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2017
I'd do the Utopias personally, the K3Ps tend to be a more inclined for power. The accuracy of the mids of both is pretty close, it would totally depend on the installation whether the midrange would sound better. Midbass will be better with the K3P.

Jason, I think you'll like the Dynaudios very much if you prefer a smooth, even sound. Very accurate set. They're hard to describe, I guess "laid back" would be how I could best describe the feel of the set. Not overpowering by any means, just smooth, natural, and true to the signal, with no sonic character added. I had Utopias before my Dyn 360, and while I liked them, the Dyns grew on me b/c of their smoother nature. If I ever did it again, I'd try the System 240 Esotar run off of a Butler or US amps, or TRU C7, all tube amps. I love the Esotar tweeter, very smooth, dynamic, accurate, and adds so much ambience compared to many others. Also huge, mounting size of it is about the size of a 4" mid. Just make sure to give them enough ->clean<- power and BREAK THEM IN. It takes a long time to break them in. Dynaudio recommends at least 40-60 hours of break in, and it can often take longer than that.

StanleyCh
Unregistered guest
Ok...the thing is I prefer Dyns also, but I havn't seen any 3 way sets. My car is a 240sx so it has space for 2 tweeters and mids up front and 2 more mids in the back. What do you guys think i should do?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2020
Better off with a 2 way component system than you are separating the component system between front and rear. I'd recommend you put Dyn 2 ways in the front and forget about rear speakers.

Username: Cdj

Southern Ohio

Post Number: 2
If you are considering the Dynaudios, then you might want to take a look at DLS. The DLS Iridium 6.2 just won the European Mobile Loudspeaker of the Year 2004-2005 award. There is an Iridium 8.2 system also.
DLS speakers have the smoothness of Dynaudio but are somewhat more lively.
Scott Bulwalda (expert240sx@msn.com) is an authorized dealer and offers some very attractive prices if you want to contact him. He has won national SQ competitions and is active on several msg boards.
He is very helpful and pleasant to deal with if you do contact him.

http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/Iridium62.htm
http://www.dls.se/english/index.htm

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2047
DLS Iridiums are fantastic as well, forgot to mention them. Also, Rainbows are excellent if you can find them.

Username: Waymodbrick

Post Number: 1
I am restoring a '68 Porsche 912. I have Dynaudio 220MkII in the doors and MBQuart PKC 113 coax in the rear, all powered by an Nakamichi MB100 source through an ADS PQ40 amp.

I am not happy at all with the MBQuarts. They do not sound well at all with the Dyn's.

What would you recommend as replacements for the MBQuarts?

TIA...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2238
Optimally you wouldn't even run rear fill. If you do want to replace them, though, get a Dynaudio midbass that will fill that spot and use a bandpass crossover (about 150hz-2k).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us