Sub Wiring Nightmare Help??????

Anonymous

Ok, here is what I have. I have 2 12" solobaric dual 4ohm speakers. I want to hook them to my amp which is a kicker kx500.2 Stereo or bridged mono output
Tri-way capable ( Tri-way crossover required)
125 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
250 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
500 watts x 1 in bridged mode 4ohm load

What are your opinions on how to hook this mess together? Wiring diagrams at cruthfield don't seem to expalin enought. What will give me the best sound, and I need to know which wire goes were? I am old school, I got these subs as a gift, and this dvc thing is driving me nuts!!
Any help appreciated Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 131
ok, well the lowest ohm load you can put on your amp is 1 or 4, since it isnt 1 ohm stable, youll have to run at 4, here is a place to get the wiring right http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

Anonymous

Hey Steven,
Ok, I see what they are doing, put do you put regular speaker wire to the posts? I am used to putting a pos. and neg. wire to each termial, how do you spilt the wire to hook up to your box?
I have 2 terminals and 2 slots each, pos+neg so do you know what I mean, or am I out in left field? I will have 2 sets of wires comming off my amp or 1? And how then do you hook it to the box? I see that dvc is good for options, but if you never ran one before, and hooked things up like I use to, you can see the problem? Thanks

itsme
Unregistered guest
Look one sub pos to pos neg to neg
the other sub the same
take all that twisted wire
pos to neg and neg to pos stick it in the amp

itsme
Unregistered guest
Look one sub pos to pos neg to neg
the other sub the same
take all that twisted wire
pos to neg and neg to pos stick it in the amp

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 132
He wired it in series, that would put a 1 ohm load on your amp, and if it is not rated at 1 ohm, dont use it at one ohm. If i was you, for each sub, hook one positive of one side of the dvc, and a negative of the opisite side, then run the other pos and negative to the amp. That would give you a 4 ohm load- 8 on each channel

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 252
Ok, my turn.

Hook the voice coils on each sub in series. That means taking the positive of one voice coil and connecting it to the neg of the other. This will leave a positive and a negative "end" open. These will be your speaker terminals.

After doing this you will have created two 8 ohm subs. If you wire these two subs in parallel(pos terminal to pos terminal, neg terminal to neg terminal) you create a 4 ohm load. Simply bridge your amp into that and you're golden.

You can do this in a couple of ways. You could

1) connect the positive terminal of one sub to the positive of the other and the negative terminals likewise. Then run the pos and neg from one sub to the bridged terminals on your amp.

or

2) You could run each subs pos and neg terminals to the bridged outputs on your amp and connect them together there.

Which you choose all depends on how your box is wired.

If thats too complicated just wire the voice coils in parallel(pos to pos, neg to neg) which will give you a couple of 2 ohm subs. Then just hook them up to your amp in stereo mode.

I personally would recommend bridging the amp as slight inmbalances between stereo channels are negated that way.

-Fishy

Anonymous

Ok, thanks to everyone who helped, I think I got it now. Geez! never seen such a hookup :-)
Again thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us