Rockford 801x

Username: Ha_split_lf

Post Number: 1
I just bought a JL audio W6v2 and my cousin gave me his rockford 801x and i was wondering if my new sub will run off this amp. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 250
Actually that amp doesn't really match up well with that sub. The W6v2's are dual 4 ohm voice coil subs which means they can either be wired as a 2 or 8 ohm sub. The 801x is a 4 channel amp stable into 2 ohms(4 ohms bridged). You could try bridging 2 channels into each voice coil but that can be less than desirable if your amp's channels aren't "balanced" especially since you would be providing 800 watts of power to a sub(12w6v2?) that can only handle 400. I'd nix that idea.

Your other option would be to run your voice coils in series(8 ohm woofer) and use half your amp, but then you'd only be providing 200 watts to the W6. I guess you can't really beat a "free" RF amp so maybe that would be good enough. You could always run your mids and highs off the other side of that 801x.

I dunno. If you're really in love with that W6 and can't or won't return it I'd look for a good monoblock amp that'll produce around 400 or 500(13w6v2) watts at 2 ohms. The JL 500/1 would be a good choice I think. Just be careful with a 10 or 12w6v2.

Its kind of a shame. Both the W6 and the 801x are good products. They just don't match up well.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 143
good advice fishy:-)

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the advice fishy. i looked into it and im interested in a zapco amp the 500.1 im pretty sure its the same as the JL 500/1 but im not really too sure. can anyone help me out with advice about the zapco or the jl thanks.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the advice fishy. i looked into it and im interested in a zapco amp the 500.1 im pretty sure its the same as the JL 500/1 but im not really too sure. can anyone help me out with advice about the zapco or the jl thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1996
Both are excellent amps. The main difference is that the Zapco isn't regulated and it's an A/B amp, meaning it'll draw more current for the same amt. of power. Zapco can utilize symbilink, which is a balanced 16V signal, which is fantastic, by the way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us