Jonathan, or any1 else intelligent, I need help...

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 194
OK, everyone asks the magic question: Which is better, the shiva or the v-max? And a lot of times I have seen people say that the shiva is prolly better quality, and better sq, but the vmax will have better spl. Is this completely true? The adire website boastst the shiva's xmax and displacement, and compares it to other 12"'s, and it blows them away. How can the vmax have better spl? Is the shiva really good at lower frequencies? If the shiva and the vmax were in their respected sized ported boxes, but both tuned to the same frequency, which sub would be louder? I need to have this cleard up for me once and for all.

BigYellowTaxi
Unregistered guest
Well, I don't know about all that, but what I do know is, in a 1.75 cu ft. box the Shiva can reach full xmax w/ 300w. That's how it wins my vote. I think the Shiva kicks the pants off the Vega. But that's just me. But it's all opinion.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 196
Yeah, but the vega reaches full excursion at 300 watts too. That's what I can't understand. I am trying to decide between the shiva and the v-max, and the only thing that is holding me back is the spl. I want which ever one will put out more. People keep saying the vmax will have more, but I don't understand why.

Silver Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 145
the vmax has 19mm of xmax and the shiva has 16. thats one major reason why the vega can be a little louder.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 197
AHhh, thank you blare. Finally. I couldn't find the xmax for the vmax anywhere.

Bronze Member
Username: Audionoob13

Novi, MI USA ...

Post Number: 38
well for the money i would go with the v-max, because there easy to find and for a 12" they only cost a 100 bucks.
I had two 12" v-max's in a dual chamberd box 2.0 Cu Ft ported to 32 Hz and they sounded great, now i got my 15" brahma and im happy :-)

Bronze Member
Username: 50amps

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 22
the vmax has more linear excursion then the shiva? Where can the T/S par. be found for the vmax?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 266
I don't think Cerwin Vega gives that stuff out.

You need a password(from a dealer) to access their Resource Center.

I guess they want to try and make their dealers a bit more money in box construction. Seems kinda stupid to me. I certainly would never buy a sub w/o first having access to its T/S parameters.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 151
does anyone know how big the diameter of the ports need to be for both the 12 and 15 vmax.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 25
the vega vmax has 20 mm of xmax PEAK TO PEAK where as the shiva has 16 mm xmax ONE WAY. Therefore the shiva would be louder and have more SQ in the right box.

As for the ports, the 12 vmax would need a 4 by 10 inch round port to achieve a 33 hz tune in a 2.5 ft^3 box. The 15 would need two 4 by 17 inch round ports in a 4 ft^3 box. This would result in a 30 hz tune.

Bronze Member
Username: Loudnobnoxious

Post Number: 66
"I certainly would never buy a sub w/o first having access to its T/S parameters."
-Fishy

I would hehe
Gotta email the company to get em to give you box sizes and stuff though.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 302
Well predesigned boxes just take all the fun out of it, but I guess thats better than nothin.

Haveta admit some of the boxes I designed with winISD recommendations didn't sound so hot. 10w3d2's don't get too loud in a 2.8 cu ft enclosure ported @ 25 Hz. They go really low, but thats about it.

:-(

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Loudnobnoxious

Post Number: 69
hahahaha

yeah i've read about some real horror stories with winISD and it coming up with responses that are supposedly totally phenomenal but in the real world the response wasn't even there.....

when the people who give you the box sizes know the product and drivers like the back of their hand they seem to do pretty good when giving out estimates and whatnot

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 303
Yeah I keep trying to improve on the JL "purist" setup I had Sound Advice(Tweeters) build me. So far no luck.

Oh well, MDF is cheap and playin with tools is fun.

Kinda funny, that 6 cu ft monstrosity I built would probably work well with Shivas. If I swap out the 4" ports for smaller 3" Adire flared kits it'd come real close to the recommended Adire alignment.

So far thats the best thing I've gotten outa winISD. Comparing different manufacturer's recommended boxes.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 210
What, does the vmax have a xmax of 19, or 20, and is that for one way, or both? And is the vmax for the Shiva, 16 one way? I have 2 people teling me different things. I can get a shiva for pretty cheap from a friend, but I was gonna get a vmax because in other posts people say that it would have a little more spl than the Shiva, and the Shiva would have better sq.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 213
?

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 26
im no expert but i got the vmax specs from cerwin vega and they say that the xmax on the 12 inch vmax is 20mm peak to peak so im gessing that works out to 10mm one way. The shiva has a full 16mm one way or around 30mm peak to peak.

So by these specs alone it would seem that the shiva has the potential to be louder.
Im just going by what i read.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 214
Yeah, that would make sense. Can any1 else verify that? And I thought Vega didn't give out their specs for the subs. And steve, if you do have the specs, what is the cone area for the vmax?

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 27
Cerwin vega did not send the sd or cone area of the vmax with the specs. sorry. However the vas, or the amount of air the cone displaces in linear travel, is 93 litres for the 12 and 202 litres for the 15. Maybe this helps.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 380
Vas is actually the amount of box(with that specific driver in it) airspace that has the same compliance(1/stiffness) as that woofer's suspension.

All it really tells you is how "stiff" each sub is relative to others of the same Sd. In acoustics class we allways just used the actual stiffness(spring constant) when lookin at harmonic systems. Vas is used most with regards to speaker suspension stiffness/compliance I think because it plugs right into the Thiele/Small equations used for designing speaker enclosures. Its a pretty confusing term otherwise.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us