Who has the best sounding subs

Bronze Member
Username: Bigjay

Post Number: 12
Ok, just cause I don't know and it is easier for me to look under OEM's then ask who can fit what, I know that Cerwin Vega and Adire are good but what other manufacturers have good sounding subs. From what I can see so far, for my truck the only OEMS that have subs that will fit what I need are Audiobahn, infinity, Kenwood, Polk Audio and Rockford Fosgate. Please, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 100
Stay away from audiobahn.
Kenwood subs are ok
infinity subs are good sq but not to much spl
i haven't heard of polk audio before
Rockford fosgate subs are good, if u buy the higher edition ones. Don't buy the punch series, not too good subs

Bronze Member
Username: Saosin

Post Number: 36
Resonant Engineering, Oz audio, i hear ample audio is pretty good but havne't heard them, Image dynamics

taylor17
Unregistered guest
audiobahn subs are good but u hav to by the right one the alum's are good and the rockford are really good too

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 198
what kind of truck do you have jay? and where were you planning to put the box? the vega vmax doesnt require that much space sealed if your worried about the box size

Username: Thehammer

Mount Holly, Nj US

Post Number: 1
Jl subs and Eclipse subs are great i just bought a 15inch mtx sledge hammer and it shuts down my 12inch W7

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks for the info all. As far as the truck I have it is a 2004 Chevy 1500 Extended cab truck. My plan is to put the box under the rear seat. proboxrocks.com has the one I am going to purchase. I just don't know which one out of the two they have I am going to do. ONe holds 2 10" subs and the other holds 2 12" subs but each are limited to the depth mount and air space. The dual 12" sub box has a mnt depth of 6.5" and airspace of .7 cu ft and the dual 10" sub box has a mnt depth of 5.75" and airspace of .7 cu ft.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 199
Jay, i suggest thinking about building your own box, or having one custom built for you. .7 cuft of airspace (per chamber im assuming) isnt going to satisfy many subs. for sealed, many subs require at least 1.0cuft or more. the depth could also be an issure depending on what you choose. if you absolutely HAVE to buy that box from the net, consider 2 10" cerwin vega Vmaxs. Depth = 5 5/8th" (just inside 5.75) and .75 cuft of air space. put 1lb (maybe more) of poly fill in each chamber of the box and youll be very happy.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 200
Jay, i suggest thinking about building your own box, or having one custom built for you. .7 cuft of airspace (per chamber im assuming) isnt going to satisfy many subs. for sealed, many subs require at least 1.0cuft or more. the depth could also be an issure depending on what subs you choose. if you absolutely HAVE to buy that box from the net, consider 2 10" cerwin vega Vmaxs. Depth = 5 5/8th in (just inside 5.75) and .75 cuft of air space. put 1lb (maybe more) of poly fill in each chamber of the box and youll be very happy.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 192
you may want to look at shallow mount subs also.
earthquake has some, here's a link
http://www.earthquakesound.com/SWS04.htm, there are others but can't think of em right off hand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
best sounding subs are all subjective anyway. The best thing you can do is go out and listen to as many different ones as you possibly can, and make up your own mind as to what you think sounds best. As you can see everybody has their own opinion. So you need to have yours.
Most everybosy here will tell you the audiobahns suck, including myself, at least the set I have does,BUT i haven't heard the alumq's. Most will tell you sony's really suck, but I and alot of people that have heard 1 of my systems, will have a tendency to disagree.
It's all up to you and what you like. That's the real hard part about all this is. Making up your own mind as to what you like. People here can guide you in the right direction, give you names of what to listen to, but the end result is gonna be up to you, and don't be afraid to go against the grain, or try something nobody has ever heard of.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thank you all for your input. One question, what does poly fill do for subs? In answer to an assumption, yes it is .7 cu ft per sub. Will adding polyfill to the box allow me to us a sub needing more airspace than the box allows?

Ok, as far as subs go, I have been looking through crutchfield and here is the list of subs that I have found on thier site that fit my requirements:

audiobahn
Kenwood
Infinity
and
Rockford Fosgate

Each of these fit the requirements of the box I am going to get. I have though of possibly making my own box but I am not that creative and I have looked at other options from Q logic, Subthump.com and supercrewsound.com and they all have the same thing, small mnt depth and small airspace.

Can anyone give me any info on any of this? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Not know which of anything you are looking at, I think I would go with
Infinity
Rockford
Kenwood
Audiobahn

in that order.
The polyfill tricks the sub into thinking it is a bigger box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
great thanks for the answers. I have not heard much on polyfill, what is the general rule for using it? how much in pounds per excess airspace? Is there a general rule for it?

"Not know which of anything you are looking at,"
What information are you looking for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Just to add to this, I also found 2 polk audio subs in 10" that will work, are they any good?

I got an e-mail this morning giving me a couple of 12" subs that would work for the dual 12" box. ANy suggestions on these:
Pioneer RS-SW124D
Rockford Fosgate HX2RFD2112 or RFD2212

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 792
polks can be good they are more an sq sub though depends what you are looking for

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I am looking for a good clean sound and a hard hit. I don't want choppy, staticy sound nor do I want something that is weak

Silver Member

Post Number: 793
to be honest I looked at the layout of yoour truck online are you willing to do anything other than a sub under the seat?

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
what i meant was trying to get hard hitting bass from under your seat is going to be a challenge

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I know that this is not the ideal place to put a sub set in but in my case it has to be. I need the rear seat to be there for my son to sit on and my wife is strictly against removing it due to that reason and I agree.

I like the idea of using the underneath of the rear seat cause I can get in more than one sub and it is out of the way. I have looked at JL audios center console option but I would like the option for more than one sub plus I need to keep the cost down and the sub box I found is not too expensive

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 285
These the boxes you're talkin about?

http://www.proboxrocks.com/chevy/99upextendeddf.shtml

A pair of Adire Audio Koda 10's would work great in .7 cu ft sealed enclosures. They recommend .5 cu ft for a SPL application and 1.0 for SQ. They also have a pretty shallow mounting depth at 4.75". They may be a bit too pricey tho at $229 a piece.

Check em out here:

http://www.adireaudio.com/

-Fishy

[note] apparently not all subwoofers are suitable for downfiring(or upfiring for that matter, eek!). Adire has a pdf which describes a pretty intensive method of determining this suitability here:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/DriverOrientation.pdf

If your good at algebra and are handy with a scientific calculator you might wanna "test" any subs you plan on using in those boxes before purchase. I went ahead and crunched the numbers on the Koda 10 and it meets Adire's downfiring criteria. They recommend a % sag(sag/Xmax) of less than 5% and the Koda 10 came out to 1.76%. To give you an idea of how that figure compares, the Shiva has % sag of 3.35%.

I wouldn't imagine there would be too many car audio subs that couldn't be fired UP so this may be needless worrying, but its a pretty neat exercise a la calculator if you feel up to it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thanks for the info, unfortunately, yeah, that may be a little pricy for what I am looking for. My budget for this will allow around 150 per sub. Where can you purchase the adire subs from?

I was not aware of the suitability for downfire on subs. I will have to check that out.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 202
there is no general rule for polyfill (also known as pillow stuffing) all it does is make the subs think the box is bigger than it really is, which is ideal if your box is slightly smaller than the required air space needed. you can purchase adire subs from http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_koda/ the koda is 229$ SHIPPED so think about that, some subs that cost 150$ a piece might round up to 200+ after shipping/state tax (if in that given state) koz as well as others on here are correct, everyone has a different ear therefor everyone hears things differently. what sounds awesome to me might sound like sh!t to you or vice versa. try to get around and sample some subs @ audio shops, get an idea of what you want more, SPL vs SQ or both. goodluck in your search!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us