I need some new subs. For SPL.

Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 1
I'm a SPL fanatic. Just not enough experience. I love it when people feel like their dying in my car. Anyways I dont have ENOUGH. I got a pair of Mmats Series Subwoofers. 250Wrms each.

What i want to upgrade to.
3 S12l5 Solo Barics or 2 S15L5's

But I'm blank on what subs should satisfy me. Any advice. It would sure help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 104
mmats has more than just one line of subs, chances are you have the low end models if your comparing them to kicker, check out the Dreadnaut series and the Juggernaut

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 2
I know i have the low end model but it does quite okay for now. But to specify what i need. Heres my car. A 99 GMC Yukon. All that space makes my subs sound really low and pound really soft. If you know what i mean. So i need a sub that are priced at atleast 200 each. I only want 2 subs. Any other opinions? thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 15
If you like spl,go wit the 2 L5 15's.You will be more than satisfied with those subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
(the low end mmats have longer excusion and a stronger motor structure than the l5's)
but dang man, only 400 bucks, that doesn't give ya much to work with, DD's, mmats, and most are over that in cost. well.......i hate to say it but if you want super loud super cheap you HAVE to get power acoustik's "MOFO" or the spl version, (they're the almost the same, spl is d1ohm and pa is d2ohm) they have 340oz motors and a 4" 18 gauge four layer voice coil, they are massive. and under $200 each
btw, they handle 1500rms :-)

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 3
I can get 2 S15L5's for $360 and MAYBE even less then that..do you guys think thats a good deal for those subs? thats why im on a $400 budget..anyways i never looked up power acoustik's are they good? or can you give me a little more info. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 364
get 5 more dollars and go to www.reaudio.com buy a 12" RE x.x.x from them....you'll have to contact the sales department to buy it. 1 12x.x.x will beat most 2 sub setups if its in the right box...build the box to specs on RE's website and you'll be golden....

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
i'll put money on the mofo's
www.poweracoustik.com

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 19
Berny,thats a good deal on the 2 15L5's.I know someone who bought a L7 12" from crutchfield and they paid about $380 for just one.And thats a 12".

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1924
The MOFOs do get loud, but build quality is sub-par and and SQ is absolute crap. I hate to say it as well, but two Mofos would probably hit harder than a single X.X.X., but as far as sounding good doing it and lasting a long time, I'd give that to the X.X.X. If it was one MOFO vs. an X.X.X., I'd say X.X.X given both were in the right boxes. But, given the amount of power required for the MOFOs, you could spend the extra $$$ on another X.X.X., two Mofos would need around 3000W RMS, two X.X.X.'s would be fine around 2000(could work well with less, too). A good 1000 watts more would balance out with the extra money for 2 X.X.X.'s. With 3,000 watts RMS, I'd probably get something like an Eclipse Titanium Pro, though, but it's costly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
hey jon, i've sold quite a few mofo's here and most of them along with a 1000rms tsunami monoblock amp running them, i know what you mean though as far as durability, but i can tell you this, head to head with any sub including the x x x the mofo will be right there. it is a very efficient sub(spl92db), and did you catch the fact that it has 18 gauge voice coil, its almost impossible to burn up. a pair of these woofers will easily do 150's with only 2000rms, i know cause i've done it. with the durability thing, yes, i've had two customers bring back a sub, one sub burned a tinsel in half(which kicker is notorious for) and the other came unglued at the spider, but they were under warranty and they were replaced.
surprisingly jonathan they sound really good, the suspension is well ballanced mechanically with the motor resulting in peak to peak excursion without leaving the magnetic gap. really i can't say enough about how good this sub sounds and how loud it gets

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 4
I pretty much narrowed my choices down somewhat. RE X X X, ahire brahma's?. (spelled wrong don't know) eclipse subwoofers. and MMATS. I seem to prefer MMATs but with your experience i would like to know how they compare to other subwoofers. Keep in mind that these subs are going to go into a Yukon with a lot of air space. What sub can make my car feel as if it had a trunk. AKA what hits hard. And if you can. please do include websites for me to check out these subwoofers. thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1928
Kicker is notorious for a LOT of problems lol, especially the square designs. You really couldn't pay me to use an L5, L7, or Solo X. I just wasn't impressed with the SQ of the Mofo, but of course you have to look at the price of it and the application, it's not primarily a SQ sub. I'm more of a SQ guy than I am SPL, I guess my expectations obviously lean more towards extreme SQ. No doubt they get loud, I've heard of single 15" Mofos doing 150s, but of course the X.X.X. 15" is also capable of doing so as well. In this case, match the horse to the course, if you wish to choose for build quality, great SQ(which are these subs primary goal), with high SPL, I'd direct you to the X.X.X. or Brahma. For cheap SPL the Mofos do get loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
i agree 100%, the only thing is most of the people on this forum couldn't hear the diff between the two, all they're concerned with is which one is louder and the cheapest. right?
like you said, your an xtreme sq guy and i'm sure you have well trained ears, but also i know that you'll agree with me that @ 150db+ its hard to hear sq.
but ya you couln't have spelled it uot more clearly in your post,
sq+build quality= x.x.x
spl+spl=mofo
:-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1933
Absolutely. If someone hears subtle nuances at 150 db I'd give them some credit(can you even call them subtle at 150 db, lol). An SPL guy with a SQ sub kinda defeats the purpose. The enclosure makes or breaks the sound quality, and an SPL designed box with a high tune really isn't going to help on those high quality reference CDs someone has lying around. Daily driver SQL I'd say X.X.X or Brahma, if you're looking for SPL, you might as well forget SQ designed subs as

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1934
oops, didn't finish. I meant to post Daily driver SQL I'd say X.X.X or Brahma, if you're looking for SPL, you might as well forget SQ designed subs as you'll be spending money on wasted SQ. It'll all be lost with the box design, basically. You can make a cheap sub sound pretty good in a well designed enclosure, and you also can make the best subs in the world sound like absolute crap in the wrong one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
jonathan, you have a PM

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 6
since this part of the forum is going crazy.. can you guys list all the spl subwoofers you can name. the name brand and model. Thanks i would appreciate that mucho grande. :-p.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1938
thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1940
Cerwin Vega Stroker Pros, Resonant Engineering MT's, Digital Designs 9500 or 9900 series, Adire Audio Brahma Extremes, Solo X(blah), MTX RFLs, Eclipse Titanium Pros, Kove Audio Armageddons, Massive Audio DMx, many of them out there, can't really name all of them off my head.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1941
Oh yeah, the Premier W-5000SPL, Rockford Fosgate Type RFs are supposed to be wicked (haven't seen them in use, though), JBL GTIs.

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 7
Thanks. After giving me that list I can go out and look information on it. Anyways. What type of box is best for spl. A Snail box, ported, or...thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
jonathan, did you see the store's site?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1945
Yep, I emailed you back. Awesome stuff. Any store that considers $20k a lower end install has my vote for top class:-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1946
Depends on the sub you choose. Something like a 6th order bandpass, tuned to the resonant frequency of the vehicle, will hit very, very high numbers.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifonics

Post Number: 30
wat would a 12"v-max hit n a 3.5 ft ported box

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 123
Hey Jon ill beat ya to it, we cant tell you what you would hit, there is to many variables, what car, what type of equipment, amp, were the mic is, and lots of other stuff. GO GET IT METERED IF YOU WANT A Db READING!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us