Is this a decent dB score for one 10"???

Anonymous

ok...i have one 10" brahma in an ext. cab truck.

i went to get to dB level checked and i got 132.6 dB w/ a JBL 600.1 amp. it was w/ the windows up and the sub was not bottoming out (it sounded good, not distorted, the box is a daily driver box w/ good sq). is this decent dB?

i just ask this becauase the guy that tested the level tested his car right after he tested my truck.(note he had a car, i had a truck) he hit 133.6dB w/ the window about 1/4 down. and he had 2 12" compvr's w/ a kx800.2 amp. his 12's sounded like CRAP, they bottomed out and the amp was clipping BAD!

are either of these scores decent?

Anonymous

to me that is ok 4 a daili driver but i have a ? 4 anon, how can u tell if your amp is clippipn and wat do u mena they bottomed out

Anonymous

my amp wasnt clipping, (at least no to a noticable extent, the distortion was not audible)my 10" sounded "clean".

the other guys subs, the pair of compvr 12's, were distorting baddly. they seemed to be outside of linear xmax (way outside of it), the tapped once also.

Anonymous

go to www.bcae1.com and read up on amplifiers, that will explain "clipping".

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 105
wow, thats funny, i spent half as much as you did on that brahama and i hit 143.2 with 2 V-maxx's, was running a jbl600.1, but my box it 6 cubic feet and tuned to about 32 Hz, so ita made for high Db

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 36
hey, where is your brahma located ? is it under the back seat?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 720
ok...i have one 10" brahma in an ext. cab truck.

i went to get to dB level checked and i got 132.6 dB w/ a JBL 600.1 amp. it was w/ the windows up and the sub was not bottoming out (it sounded good, not distorted, the box is a daily driver box w/ good sq). is this decent dB?

i just ask this becauase the guy that tested the level tested his car right after he tested my truck.(note he had a car, i had a truck) he hit 133.6dB w/ the window about 1/4 down. and he had 2 12" compvr's w/ a kx800.2 amp. his 12's sounded like CRAP, they bottomed out and the amp was clipping BAD!

are either of these scores decent?

132 db for a 10 is decent but but im guessing you can get more out of that. My buddies extended cab truck hit 132 db with two 12's 48 series volfenhags on a 300 rms amplifier but im gussing you could do better because ive seen an extended cab truck hit 140 db with an mtx 8000 10 on an amp at 800 rms but that was a single note set up there both systems i descrbed were firing up at the ceiling of the truck...as far as the guy you spoke about with the windows down some cars can actually hit more doing this...i saw a guy run through doors closed and all at a comp and hit one score and then go through with one door open and hit more with his phoenix gold 10's

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1862
You more than likely need more than 600W RMS. The Brahma is a SQ sub, and won't "bottom out" or sound distorted until you're pushing it past it's linear limits. If you're doing sealed, you need around 900W RMS. If you're running ported, it's dependant on tuning and box size. Ported will show an increase in SPL over sealed anyway, but at tuning you'll need a lot of power to get max excursion at tuning, more than the sub can thermally handle usually. You were only 1 db off of a car with 2 12" subs in a car, you shouldn't be too disturbed. I'm sure you could hit higher, though. You have a truck, and honestly trucks don't typically have the SPL that cars and hatchbacks do, although good results can be had with some work. Honestly, you probably would have gotten more SPL out of it if you pushed your amp into clipping, but you have to wonder if it's really worth risking the damage to the sub. You probably would have done better with a window cracked, it tends to work a little better in trucks. Also, consider moving the box around, firing up, down, and all around :-) to see what gives the best results. Sound deadening also shows an increase. If you did an under the seat type install, this is actually not great for SPL, although good for SQ. You get very little gain from firing the sub from there, downfiring or firing towards the ceiling tends to work better.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1863
You also have to ask yourself your goals for the system. Before you went in to get the SPL tested, were you happy with it, SQ and SPL? If you're satisfied, that's really all that matters. Of course, I'm sure curiosity will get you and you may be wondering if it could sound better any other way, and you've got nothing to lose by experimenting.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 195
i pretty sure i can get my brahma to do better than that 132.6dB i hit (it was on a new mic)...i just ran by the shop today and got it tested, just played some rap to test it, not a bass cd or anything...the box is set up more for SQ than SPL (its ~1.6 cuft gross)

it is under the back seat and is forward firing. (fires into the back of the drivers seat.)

i only let the sub get as loud as it would and still have it sounding good, i didnt turn the volume up to and let the amp start clipping. i kept the sub "clean". (no distortion, cant stand distortion!)

i think i'm loosing some potential because it fires into the drivers seat. (prolly quite a bit)

i've been trying to keep the SQ as good as i could, the brahma's SQ is great too. i think i'm gonna rebuild the box soon though. i think i'll have it firing up.

this was the first time i've had my trucks SPL metered...i am happy w/ the sound. i just wondered what SPL i had, like i say SQ is more what i wanted, and thats what i got. but everyone that gets in my truck cant believe that all i have it one 10"...lol

...forgot to sign in when i started this thread...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1865
SQ and testing for SPL don't go together lol. Pushing it into clipping would net more SPL, you know that, though. You probably hit 132.6 on the new termlabs. Not bad at all, really, especially with everyday rap music. You can always play around with box design, etc. that's what makes this fun. I'm in the process of planning my next vehicle, just have to finish some work around the house. Torn between a couple of cars.

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 39
hey sean, how is the brahma placed, and where is it placed ... is it under your seat ? or what ... i have an ext cab and im trying to get as many ideas ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 721
yeah i think your definately losing spl firing into the seat and as far as with a bass cd when we did the truck with the volfenhags the did seem to hit 3 bd more on the right test tone (neting the 132 db) so id expect you might gain 3 db as well I have a question tho jon did any of you test ports to see if matching the length of the port to the first quarter wave did in fact net more spl

Silver Member

Post Number: 722
sorry alex that first part wasnt my post i copied it and then answered the original guys post but ive seen two trucks boxes facing up and they did well

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 212
Hey Alex, you feelin Jeanne yet?

Its finally slackin up a bit here.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

La United States

Post Number: 12
Marshal,where did you go to get your truck tested.I been wanting to get mine but I can't find anywhere to do it.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 196
Jay,
I went to Ace Audio in Alexandria, La.

where you from man?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1866
Naw, we never got into quarter wave theory, I didn't anyway. I considered building a TL box, but it's just too much room taken up (in my application anyway) and really temperamental. Just being a little bit off makes a huge difference in SQ, basically it either sounds good or doesn't. Not sure about the SPL of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 731
thanks jon. lol you posted in the wrong thread ive been looking into this i may try things out with this idea or maybe even build a t line

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_dub

Louisiana United States

Post Number: 13
I'm from Simmesport, its about 30 minutes from marksville.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1867
oops, had two up at the same time, sorry.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 197
i know exactly where Simmesport is...my step-mom is from there. i go to Simmesport bout once a month.

jay, if you're interested Ace audio is having a Comp next month, not sure of exactly when it is though.

i'm thinkin bout going, i am working on two box designs right now, one is vented and the other is 6th order bandpass. not sure bout doing the band pass, prolly just the vented. gonna make the vented one w/ an exchangable vent, i pretty sure i tune higher and get quite i bit more SPL (it would be just for comp though).

maybe i'll see ya if you go to the comp.

Alex Kintis,

i have pics of my box, its under the back seat of my ext cab chevy 1500. ('98)
if you have any questions email me.

southern_rebel_inla@yahoo.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 738
my fault jon i forgot i asked you about the quater wave theory in here...(i posted another thread about it and forgot)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1870
Yeah, I had both of them up at the same time. Couldn't remember if this above really answered your question on the other post. Really, the key to TL is to have a LOT of spare time to play around with the box to get it just right. It also takes a lot of planning and experimentation to get it right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us