Dammit, how do I decide between dual 8''s and dual 10''s

Bronze Member
Username: Stream

Arkansas

Post Number: 18
Here's my deal. I have a BMW Z3 convertible, and I'm trying to decide what I want to do for bass. I listen to mostly rock (DMB, John Mayer, Led Zepp, Maroon 5, etc.) and some jazz and blues. I also listen to rap occasionally. I want really tight, clear, and crisp bass, which means I need sealed boxes. Right now I have a ported box with two 10''s, and I hate the sound I get out of it. It's waaaay too fluffy, muddy, and boomy.

But, do I go with two 8's or two 10's? I think two 8's would give me more of the sound I'm looking for, but I'm also afraid that two 8's wouldn't be loud enough in that convertible when I have the top down. On the other hand, I'm afraid that two 10's would rattle that little car apart and be TOO loud. Or, should I go with one really nice 10'' or 12'' in a sealed box?

Anyone got any advice? I'd be powering them with a 500 watt monoblock Memphis Audio amp.

Thanks!

-Jesse

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 407
Go with 2 10" subs in sealed boxes.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1853
Def two 10s or one 12" sub IMO. The 12" will usually give the most bandwidth (drops lowest) and 12s can still have extremely good SQ into the midbass transition region(where your components take over). Two 10s would be great too. As far as SPL goes, making subs quieter isn't much of an issue, getting them loud enough, however, is. Just my opinion. You can always cut the sub level. I had two 12" Eclipse Titanium 12s in my 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 convertible, and they kept up very nicely, of course that car was a lot larger and louder than your BMW.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 19
Thanks guys. I'll probably just keep my two 10's and put them in a sealed box.

-Jesse

Username: Udloze

Batemans Bay, NSW Australia

Post Number: 1
go the dual 10's, but what brand subs are they

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 20
Memphis Audio subs, M class.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums