Best Box?

Unregistered guest
Assuming I get 2 12" Rockford T1's, what kind of box should I get? Sealed, ported, slot ported? When I went into Best Buy (Stop laughing, I already know that I don't know what I'm doing) They told me that with my car and music preferences (mainly Pop and country but spans Classical to Hard Rock ie linkin park) a sealed box would be best, but that was with the P3's. As always any and all help is MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1846
Actually, I'll give Best Buy a VERY little bit of credit there, you'll more than likely be happiest with sealed with your music choice.

Unregistered guest
Not to question you but, even upgrading from the P3's to T1's still go with the sealed? Where would be the best and cheapest place to buy them at, ebay? And just so I know a little bit more (would you rather want a pain in the bum that ask asks dumb questions but is at least trying to learn or a pain in the bum that just smiles and nods?) could you tell me why I'd want sealed over the rest? Thank you so much for your quick responce.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1847
With sealed boxes, you have the ability to drop low without risking damage to the subwoofer, which is needed with Classical music because for example, a pipe organ goes LOW, lower than most ported boxes would allow without risking damage to the sub. Classical, Country, Pop, Hard rock tend to need enclosures with good midbass accuracy b/c of kick drums, sealed tends to give tighter and flatter frequency response. Very well designed ported boxes can rival sealed, but in most cases sealed takes the award for transient response, less group delay, phase and impedance values, and overall accuracy over the course of the audio spectrum. It all depends on the design of the subwoofer as well, you can contact RF for a recommendation if you'd like, some subs are designed primarily for sealed, some ported, but most fall somewhere in between. I'm just guessing you want the best SQ for this type of music, and IMO sealed would be the best box for your tastes.

Unregistered guest
With the T1's rockfordfosgate.com recommends .75 cu. ft. per enclosure on a sealed box. I can't seem to find a dual 12" box meeting those specifications. The closest I've found would be .85 and .88. Would the be close enough? How much of a difference will that .13 cu. ft. make? Or is there a place out there selling box that match the numbers at a good price?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1872
Personally, I think you should build one or have one built. That sub puts out a good bit of pressure, more than most prefabs can handle w/o problems (flexing, leaks, etc.). But anyway, a larger box will decrease power handling (sub reaches full excursion w/ less power) and increase bandwidth (able to drop lower). Smaller boxes show more SPL up high, but require more power, midbass transition tends to be a little better as well.

Unregistered guest
is there somewhere online you'd recommend to get one built? My dad's the do-it-yourselfer of the family i just throw what little money i have at problems.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1874
woodlawn cabinetry, but it won't be cheap. See if subzone or subzero make a box that size. They're good prefabs. Subzone should have one close to that size.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us