Headlights dimming

Username: Deva

Croatia

Post Number: 5
i've got pg tantrum 250.2 running 1 tantrum 10 svc, and when bass hits my lights dimm. my alternator is 85A. There's nothing wrong with alternator coz the car is 3 months old (chevy lacetti). any advice appriciated

Anonymous

1. Check the gain, it's should not be more than 3/4 of the way up
2. double check on your alternator make sure it's 85amper. 250 rms max draw say 30amper, you should have more than enough for 250.2 IF you alternator is 85A.

Croatia

Post Number: 6
there's no gain on this amp, and alt is 85A, i checked the manual

Username: Spidercrew

Post Number: 3
GET A CAPACITOR...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1852
Some cars alternators still don't have a lot of headroom for extra electrical components. If your lights are dimming at high loads, it's more than likely an alternator issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 37
DONT GET A CAPACITOR. all they do is act as resourvers of power. when the cap runs out of power then what will happen? well your cap will start to recharge. to recharge it has to draw the power from the alternator. while it is taking current from your alternator your amp will still need power so it can power the woofers. so while the cap is charging and drawing power off of your alt. , your amp will also be drawing power form your amp..

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 38
have you ever heard of upgrading the big 3 wires? i havent tried this out, but no one has told me thye done it and they didnt notice a differnce. what you do is replace the factory wires on your alternator, ground a 8ga wire off of your engine block and runa 8ga wire from your car battery directly to the chasis of the car.. supposely this allows current to flow though the car a lot beter and makes the electricle system more efficent. if this dosnt work buy a more power full alternator. a capacitor will b a wiast lof money

Croatia

Post Number: 7
I just bought the car and don't have enough money for new alt. Could it be becouse at the point where ground wire is connected to chasis the paint isn't scraped off, so the amp has to draw more curent and then voltage drops???

Croatia

Post Number: 8
and my wires are 9 gauge if that matters

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1877
You need to go larger than 8 guage for the "big three", at least 4 guage, but 2 or 1/0 would be best. A lot of factory alternator wires are 8 guage to start with. It will show a little improvement, but depends on the car. An alternator is usually what's needed in most current delivery problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us