Sub Problem!!!

Anonymous

hey i just got a sub and works great but it is leaving off a smell that is really bad when turned on, even though it works like a charm. what could this smell be. i am underpowering this sub by like 300 watts rms and it can take 800rms (giving it 500rms) what could that nasty smell be?
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 414
did you break it in and are you distorting it in other words do you only smell it at high volumes

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 290
you could be frying either the voice coils or tinsel leads...

Anonymous

well i bought it used so it has already been broken in. how much would it cost to get it fixed if it was either the vc or the tinsel leads. i have a feeling its the vc because the leads look fine.
f

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
is this a bandpass box by chance?

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 535
Sound like the coating on the Voice coil is burning. Something isnt hooked up correctly.

Anonymous

no it's not in a bandpass its in a sealed box. yeah i know i figured that something wasn't hooked up right and it didn't play very loud i took the sub out of the box and there was this horrendous smell of something burning, and there was a little smoke but not a lot at all just enough so you could barely see it. i then saw my error and fixed it and it plays like its supposed to but the smell is still there. i can't figure it out. i don't want that smell to be in my car too so if theres any way to fix it please tell me, and if you have any idea on how much it'll cost pease tell me as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
ok least you found your error i wouldnt worry bout fixing it unless you see actual damage

Anonymous

really so how do i get ridof the smell or do i have to live with it (lol) ill ask around here and see maybe i could stuff air fresheners in my box.(lol) yeah i don't see any damage on the leads the cone or the vc so im asuming no major damage i caught it pretty quick i guess. anyways i think ill have a good friend look at it just in case there is some damage the average car audio man can't see. thanks for your advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
the smell will disapate and yes electronic burnt smells stink

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 540
Get some Febreeze spray and bump like mad!

Anonymous

how do you know when the voice coil is burnt to the point to where you have to replace it? just curious.

Anonymous

bump...

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 548
Well usually if the sub doesnt move or work then you know, since the Voice Coil is internal and you cant see it, you really dont know. If you going to get it replace you mine as well just buy a new sub. Because in order to replace that, most everything else (cone, surround, tinsle leads, etc) have to be ripped out.

Anonymous

ok mine still works so it should be okay right?

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 564
Right, if it still works then good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us