Advice needed please for components

Username: Ntruax

Post Number: 1
Hi, I need some advice on what speakers to get. I have a 93 Ford Ranger supercab and I'm just starting to slowly get a decent system set up in it. I have 2 JL 15's behind the seats and some junk Majestic 5.25 components back there (which I'll probably just unhook/throw away, or something).

I want to buy a set of good components? for the front doors. I'm thinking about getting MB Quarts because I know they're supposed to be really good. That or I was thinking possibly Diamond or JL's.

I'm on a pretty tight budget so I can't get MB premiums or anything cause I don't want to have to wait that long (long enough to save the extra $$$ to get them).

My questions are: Should I get 5.25's for the front (since I can install them without having to modify anything other than the adapter)? Or should I get 6.5's? Everyone else I've asked says to just get the 5.25's but I'd like your opinions. Also, I've been looking at some on Ebay and need to know if they'd be worth buying. I know they're not the current models, but are they as good or should I wait til I can afford the current ones? These are what I'm talking about, either these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32818&item=5714310573&rd= 1&ssPageName=WDVW or these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32818&item=5713686159&rd= 1&ssPageName=WDVW

In case you're wondering what else I have, for now I'm using a Sony CDX-F5700 HU. I may try to get something better later on but for now I don't think I need to. I'm pushing the subs with an old Majestic amp that supposedly puts out 150RMS into each sub (they're kind of old, I bought them new back in 95 or 96 and that's what they are rated for). I'm not positive what amp I'll be using with the new speakers but it'll probably be a POS Sentrek I have laying here until I can afford a better one.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Bronze Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 50
I like the earthquake 5.25" components, they are very nice, run about 200 or so and can handle 500 watts. very loud, very clean sound.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1060
Look into Infinity Kappa Perfects, CDT Classics, JL Audio XR, and Diamond Audio HEX series. All great components and moderately priced, all are much better than the MB Quart Reference series. I personally prefer 6.5" components, better midbass and midrange performance than 5.25" components. You'll need the midbass to blend with the JL 15" subs you have.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1061
Also, yes disconnect or totally get rid of the old components in the rear.

Post Number: 2
Well I think I'm gonna go with the Diamond hex's. Either the s600a or s600s? They're quite a bit more than what I planned on spending but from everything I've read they must be worth it. Which ones do you think I should get? I listen to mainly rap and some rock.

I have another question too. Where should I mount the tweeters? Also, where should I put the crossovers? The truck isn't in mint condition or anything so I don't really care about looks. Should I just put them inside the doors or not?

Thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1085
You should put the crossover as close to the components as possible. I personally prefer soft dome tweeters (the s600s series) but it depends on what your ears prefer. Go demo both and see what you think. Tweeters should be mounted close to the woofer to avoid phase issues.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1086
Also, I don't recommend buying a set of speakers by just reading reviews. You're best off going to demo all of them. My personal taste would lead me to the XRs, but that's just me, just like you may like either of your other options better. You may also be able to find the ones you like the best for less money :-)

Post Number: 3
The only problem with this is is that the closest dealer that I can find that carries Diamond is about 100 miles from me. JL I might be able to listen to about 50 miles from here.

What to do???.............

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1093
It's all in what you're willing to do. I personally don't mind driving at all and when building a truly great system I personally think it's worth the driving effort. At least you won't get in your car and wonder if that other component set you could have gotten would have sounded better.

Post Number: 4
I ordered the JL's XR650-CSi. Should I order a set of speaker baffles for them or are they a waste of money? Someone told me they'd sound better if I use these http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uiy5Nyyw4bu/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=237XT65&s=0&cc=0 1. What do you think?

Thanks.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1130
They'll kill your bass response, they're too small. Just stick to mounting the components in your door, if you want it to sound better, then use dynamat or fatmat, etc. inside the door to cut down resonance. I highly recommend against using these. Those XR's are very nice components, I'm sure you'll like them.

Post Number: 6
Well I finally got these and got them installed earlier tonight. So far I think they sound pretty good but I haven't had time to listen to them that much yet. One thing I noticed though is that if I turn the high pass filter off on my HU the bass they're getting makes them distort. The HPF has a setting for 78HZ and 125HZ and either setting removes the offending bass. Shouldn't the crossovers that come with the speakers be keeping this bass from getting to the speakers or what? All of these settings confuse me...

Post Number: 7
I forgot to mention that I'm using an Infinity 7520 amp with these. I have the amp set on flat.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1337
The crossovers don't block bass. Don't push those components too hard to start with, let them break in for a couple weeks (depending on how much you drive, aim for 20-40 hours) Once they've broken in, I've never had any trouble getting them to go down to 50-60 hz w/o a problem. If the amp has a HPF, set it to around 60 hz. You may need some dynamat or some other sound deadening, distortion could come from a couple things like air leaks, rattling noises perceived as distortion, etc.

Anonymous

Nathan wrote:

>I listen to mainly rap

In that case, it doesn't really matter. Go to Radio Shack and grab a set of $25 speakers - spend any more than that and you're just wasting your money trying to make bad music sound good.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us