SQ Setup - ~$500

Username: Carlb

Post Number: 1
Hey, im looking to invest around $500 on a sub and amp. Here is my current setup:

'90 BMW 3 Series (sealed Trunk)
Alpine CDA-9833
Alpine MRV-T320
Infinity Perfect 5.1

I have my stock rear speakers running off the HU, I might get better rear speakers if I need to in a while. But thats where the Sub system comes in. Im looking for a very good sound system, not one that shakes the entire ground and forces everyone to hear my music. I listen to a lot of everything, unluding some rap, but it is mainly rock (not metal), and hip-hop which doesn't need that much bass either.

I think that calls for a rather low power unit, and smaller subs. Though lowering the Subwoofer level on the HU works too, right? What would one suggest to use? Also, if its not a very loud system, should I then get rear speakers to get better all-round sound since I don't have too much stuff coming from the back to interfere?

I was thinking about one 10W3v2 with a JL 250/1 or a couple RE8's.

Thanks.

Username: Youngblood

Post Number: 9
Im looking to get 2 12" adire shivas ($115 apiece) and a MTX Thunder 801d mono amp ($240) and with shipping itll come out to about $500 and from what ive been told the shivas do produce good SQ but also have good SPL if you want to use it..i dunno if that helps at all...Plus you can also get a nice component system to put in the rear for like 200 if you get subs that use a smaller less expensive amp

Post Number: 2
I guess a correction is needed. I don't care if it can get loud, as thats really only a volume level control. I care about it getting LOW. Thats where it really vibrates stuff around at low volumes, and I hate that sound.

Along with the sub, what type of enclosure would be good? Crutchfield Advisor says that a sealed enclosure gives the tightest and most accurate bass, with a flat response (not boomy) - tats good for me. But then it says it would have deep bass extension, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 990
The Shiva is an excellent subwoofer. I'd do a 12 if you're looking for a quieter, full range driver. 10's just don't handle deeper bass very well. The Shiva is an excellent subwoofer and is very tight, with great sound quality and moderate SPL. In a sealed box, a single Shiva may be what you're looking for. It won't be too loud, even if it is, making a sub quieter isn't an issue, sub level on a head unit such as yours can adjust that. A JBL 600.1 is a great amp to run the Shiva with, and you'll be running it at 4 ohms, getting lower distortion and more headroom than if the amp was running at 2 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 991
By the way, above I wasn't saying a 12 was quieter than a 10, but since you're wanting less bass and more SQ, you're better off with a single driver that can cover more bandwidth.

Post Number: 3
Okay, thanks, but I think that the 10 is what I want, since it doesn't hit the lows, and I don't want lows. Or is that still wrong?

Any other subs that are good?, since there is no one perfect sub, a couple other options would be good to investigate as well.

thanks again.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 99
You really need to just go to an audio store and test out what they got, car audio is really personal preference, dont get something becuase other people like it..be yourself...

Post Number: 4
I would, but if there are brands out there that are better than what I can hear here, then I might look into that. Brands like Adire, RE and ID, I can't really listen to around here. I don't want to be missing out. If I only had Sony and Audiobahn to listen to here, I hope you wouldn't tell me to just get the one that sounds better of those two :P.

I can get a decent deal on JL here, might get a 10W3v2. I just need opinions on how to get tight, accurate, and not really low bass, be it in the actual sub, or how to enclose it, or set my system up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us