Eclipse Aluminum...

Anonymous

I just purchased an Eclipse Aluminum sub and want to port it for the most output. I can't find any box recommendations anywhere for a ported, I'd like to tune between 28-30 hz for SQ purposes. What size should the box be? Will 2 cu ft work?

Anonymous

bump.

Anonymous

bump

Please help...
Unregistered guest
ok, I emailed Eclipse technical support this is their direct quote:
"28-30HZ is not recommended for any good sub. The lowest you want to go is
35HZ max, and the recommended enclosure for this sub in a ported enclosure
is 2.5 cubic ft with a port of 5 inch round and 14.25 in length."
I was under the impression that a 30 hz tune was great for sound quality. Anyway, can someone explain how the size of a ported box affect the sub, like does a larger ported box increase bandwidth and have less control of the cone as a larger sealed box does, or is it different? I know the surface area of the port is what tunes the box, but I just want to know what the size does. Also, do you think 2.5 tuned to 35 will have good sound quality? I have a kicker 550.3 amp (400 watts RMS @ 2 ohms) and the sub is a bit underpowered, I want to get pretty close to full excursion and increase my SPL a bit, but don't want to lose sound quality. A ported box will be as loud as having two equivalent subs, isn't it? That's the way I understood it.

Please help...
Unregistered guest
And by the way, the amp has a built in subsonic filter at 20 hz, I was wondering if I would screw up the sub by having so much gap between the tuning freq. and filter, I heard running 30 hz with a 20 hz subsonic filter won't be too bad, didn't know about 35.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us