Looking for a good SQ sub

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 97
Hey everyone it's been awhile since I've posted. So my current sub/amp setup is an Alpine PDX-5 pushing 300W RMS to a Boston Acoustics G215-4 15" in a sealed box. I will be moving in about 6 months to Germany and probably selling all my car stereo gear here before I leave. I will probably get the new Alpine PDX-V9, because I love how compact the PDX amps are and it puts out 500W RMS for the sub channel. Anyways, I will probably be getting a very small car in Germany, so I want to get a really great SQ 8" or maybe 10" sub that can handle around 500W RMS. I will probably get a custom ported box made for it, and my price range for the sub would be up to $400, not including the box. I have heard great things about Rainbow and Focal speakers(I'm not sure if they are any cheaper in Europe) but how are their subs?

Username: Sonicd

Post Number: 1
here is a nice sq sub for a really good price,Tc sound epic 10.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-656&FTR=tc%20sound%2 0epic%2010

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1599
That's right a TC Sounds Epic SQ sub 500W RMS, for more power a SSA GCON 10" or a Fi SSD 10" or a Image dynamics IDQ.

I think you can just keep the amp you have if you like it's sound.

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 98
The TC Epic looks really nice, but the reviews say it is kind of in-efficient and doesn't put out much sound. I am not expecting too much from just 1 8" sub, but have any of you heard the TC Sounds Epic subs? How are Sundown's subwoofers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1610
Sundown are not SQ subs, get loud by peaking, look for a 10" sub at least or you can do a IB setup (no box) look for a 12" Fi IB3 sub IB setups get low and with great SQ, Heard the 12" epic and is superb here is a member that has a 10" and could provide you with some feedback, he runs it in a SQ aligned ported box.

Check towards the end of this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/707423.html

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14735
I'm using a sealed Fi Q15 now for a SQ setup, myself.

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 99
Well I found something interesting. Has anyone heard an Alpine SBR-S83V? I guess it isn't really a straight SQ woofer, but I am a big Alpine fan. I had a 12" Type R that was in a ported enclosure from the factory about ten years ago, and I liked it a lot. This little setup looks like it would work out nicely for me and I wouldn't need to pay to get a custom enclosure built (then I could spend more on my front-stage ). I think my PDX-5 would probably push it just fine too.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1611
Well is not a SQ sub as you say, it's supposed to take 350W at most, won't be bad just meh.. neither that inexpensive, you can build a box for $50 or so, some work though but worth it IMO.. JL Audio offers that kind of plug and play stuff as well.. similar results.. Personally I would decide after getting the car and see what kind of space can be used on this, 10"s are usually way better bottom end and efficiency than 8"s.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14740
That's a pre-fab solution for people who want something relatively cheap and simply. It's not what I'd consider an audiophile level product by any means. If your goal is SQ, and you want Alpine, stick with the type R or type X subs.

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 100
Have any of you guys heard Rainbow subwoofers? I am probably getting a set of their components (maybe from a local retailer in Germany if the price is right) once I move to Germany and figure out what car I am getting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1614
Sure their top comps are like 10K are laid back style of sound.. they have all kinds of prices to about a couple of hundred dollars.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14747
yeah rainbow makes very good speakers, but relatively hard to find an auth'ed dealer in the US for them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us