No Noob Impendance Question

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3415
though i say no noobs should click this thread, i feel like one asking this..

if i stack 2 amps that have a 2ohm minimum load each, what will my new min impendance be? will it stay at 2? i need to achieve a 4ohm load, but also keep the their maximum output.

for reference, the amplifier at hand is a clarion dpx11551. i've went through the manual on this topic, but either i'm retarded or the info i want isn't there.

i'm mainly asking this because i saw somewhere that the final impendance changed when 2 amps were stacked, but i forget where and what type they were.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1138
Im not sure if every amp is like this,but on the aq 1200d it changes. Minimum ohm load would change from 1ohm to 2 ohm stable,but you would still get the maximum output from both the amps. Just at a 2ohm load instead of 1ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

KY USA

Post Number: 757
4ohm

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3416
hmm.. well this is the only thing i can find in the manual for it.

Upload

i'm honestly not sure what they mean by the + and - leads, lol.

how would you go about wiring them on a D2 sub?

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 296
You don't know what a lead is? Dude it's where the wires hook up. Obviously there's only one place on a driver that would use the symbols + & -, it's not rocket science. The manual is saying to strap the amps you just wire both +'s on each amp to eachother and the same for the negative terminals. You should have asked "when strapped, will the final load not allow for a D2 to wire into either 4 or 1 ohm?" - as in does it then act like a D4 because they're strapped. I don't know, most people with 1 sub go with 1 amp and skip that headache.

Google says "... can strap two dpx11551s for about 3100w at 4 ohms". Wouldn't trust it when it's talking about MAX power so whatever.

... while it's actually "•850W x 1 into 2 Ohms, @ 1.0% THD".

So you want about 1700 watts into 4 ohms? Why not 1 ohm? If you can wire into 4 ohms than you can wire into 1 ohm with a D2 (wired in parallel). Why buy two amps when you can buy one? At the least, why go as mainstream as Clarion?

http://pinq.wordpress.com/2007/05/11/wiring-your-subs-dual-voice-coils/

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NYi2F09g7Wy/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wir ing.html

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 87
The 2 stacked amps will have a minimum impedance of 4 ohms.
What you need to do is wire the D2 sub in series, each wire coming out of the sub config will go to each + on the amps. Then you just short the -'s on both amps together.

Heres my crude paint artwork:
Upload

Someone please confirm this is the correct way to hook up the setup.

EDIT: I do agree with Lord Huggington though, instead of doing this you could skip the headache, get a single AQ2200D and wire your D2 sub to 1-ohm by wiring the coils in parallel. Save you money and gives you more power/headroom.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 297
I concurr.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3417
seriously.. give me some credit, captain hindsight. i know what leads are. i've been doing this for awhile, just never with anything strapped, so why not break the norm "most people use 1 sub 1 amp setup", and go a different route? i had no clue bridging terminals on amps was feasible.

lets bring some things into light. my goal here is to get 3000wrms. it has to be either a 1 or 4 ohm load to be compatible with the sub i have in mind. i currently have on hand a saz2500d, and obviously the clarion which does 1550wrms @ 2ohm. i'm not sure where you got the "max" rating from. it has 0ga power and grounds for a reason. my mainstream amp was also designed by Robert Zeff and has an assload of features.

so, the sundown doesn't have enough output. i got my clarion bnib for dirt cheap. at the moment i can get a very lightly used one to match for cheap as well. combined they will be around 1/2 of what my sundown cost, and definitely less than any other quality amps in that power range. i think i'm making a good choice here.

now with that in the clear, thanks for the help. it appears i can indeed go with the 2 amp route, and i know how to wire it now.

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 92
Ok, I was under the assumption that the DPX11551 put out 850 RMS into 2 ohms after I saw this on crutchfields website:
Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels) 1550 x 1

But I just did a little more googling and actual reading this time and it makes more sense now. Yea by strapping the amps you should be able to achieve ~3140 watts RMS into a 4-ohm load @ 14.4V

It is a little strange though how all the websites that have the specs for this amp say the MAX/MUSIC/PROGRAM power rating is 1550 watts and say the RMS @ 2-ohms is 1550 watts. The max is usually double the RMS.

Sonic Electronix goes as far as to say:
RMS Power Rating(14.4V):
4 ohms: 850 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 1570 watts x 1 chan.
Max power output: 1550 watts

Idk, maybe Clarion made a mistake when releasing the specs to the distributors and it was never fixed. O well good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us