Installing at Best Buy?

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1538
I went to my local Best Buy yesterday to get the newest Breaking Benjamin album and saw they had a sign on the door saying they were looking for experienced mobile audio installers. I went back to the car audio area and talked to a couple of the guys about it. They said I would need to get the MECP certification and that it would only be part-time, which is fine with me. What do you guys think about installing car audio at Best Buy? My main concern is money really, but if they would pay what I'm making now or atleast close to it, I would enjoy working with car audio much more than delivering packages. Do you guys think it would be a legit job or it would be a bad Idea? Does anyone happen to know anyone who works at a Best Buy who installs there? I've wanted to get my foot in the door somewhere working with car audio, but I've had no luck at local shops. If this is something worth while I might check into it.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 701
Sounds like a good intro job.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 968
sure would look good on your resume.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24466
http://http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112269/forecast-for-be st-buy-worst-yet-to-come

All these electronic stores who have car install bays are worth about 95% crap and we know it. They're not about customer service but about selling product. If you NEED a job and your knowledge of car audio gets it then that's one thing. If you think it's going to get you a better resumé on the subject then think again. You'll work along side some morons who tear apart a ride and you'll think to yourself: "WTF is he doing?"

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24467
P.S.

I just bought 4 movies and a new controller for my PS3 at Bestbuy over the weekend.

Which means............ absolutely nothing lol.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3142
Depends on the best buy. The installers at my best buy seem to do a good job, not many come back unless the owner jacked with it. My best buy seems to do mostly deck installs and alarms, and the occasional speakers.

I work at best buy, but not for audio, I do inventory/merchandising.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3143
Christmas time is nuts! seriously.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1958
i have had some friends that where really good installers and did some of the best work i have seen that have worked at bestbuy and frys.

i would say take a job you enjoy, and if you improve that bestbuy you have helped stupid people or newbs to the game and get them set in the right direction.

in short do what makes you happy.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2725
This would be great experience. 90% of shop work is remote starts, satellite radio, h/us, fixing messed up customer wiring, and crap no one is excited about doing. In a shop you may occasionally do custom work, box building, big builds, etc. At BB you will may have someone want 4 15s dropped in separate pre-fab sealed boxes and thrown in the back of their expedition. They may bring you a set of mismatching subs and ask you to wire it up, and the most custom you'll probably ever get is cutting some plastic and hot gluing it to mount a GPS in a 40 year old RV (I had to do this).

Depending on who's in charge you may have to do things you don't want to do or know are wrong to make the customer happy- like adding a bazooka tube in a new car with a factory 8" sub still playing. I worked at Circuit City years back, and I'm glad for the experience.

You will get faster at simple tasks, and learn how to do alarms (hopefully right) which is an asset to many small shops. Most places don't know how to do alarm/remote starts properly. Flip-down or head rest dvd setups also take a few tries to get really comfortable with, so again really a great way to get into the car audio field.

Pay isn't bad, I have a friend who's head of the install bay at the local BB and he's the only one I'd ever let touch my car other than me. You can expect >$10/hr starting out, and I've seen people there make $18/hr after a few years.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1539
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do as of yet, but I do think it would be a good way to get more hands on experience. I've never installed alarms or things of that nature, so learning how to do those sorts of things would be good to know. Working there wouldn't be because I needed a job, I currently work full time. It would be more of a change of job rather than being in need of one. I would still work my primary job, just a few days a week. Also, the guys there kept talking about how "good" the discount is when you work there. I'm not sure what they consider good, but that could be a perk. Not that I'm in need of any new equipment at the moment but you never know.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12073
The discount is baller on certain stuff at Best Buy. My buddy works there and he can get some stuff for cheap but other stuff is like $5 off. It's hit or miss. I can check the audio prices though not that they have anything really worth while.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16719
all i can say bro is take your time and think it through
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us