Fiberglassing

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3261
I think I want to take a shot at fiberglassing some pods for my components but I have no idea where to start. First off,how hard is it for someone with no experience at all? Second,what all will I need? Do they sell kits or something at Home Depot or similair places? Can someone post some links to what Ill need or make a list for what ill need please?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5441
the easiest way to glass is to use a form of some kind. Foam works well.
HD sells the resin and fiber mat and fiber cloth. I like the cloth because its easier to work larger pieces with. However, the mat is good for strengh and build up areas.
1. Make some sort of mold, from wood, ect.
2. cover with cloth/mat
3. wet with resin/repeat/repeat
4. Sand-sand-sand-sand.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3616
If you can work with your hands, it isn't too hard. Patience and filler are keys. Go for it and learn something. I love working with it

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3264
About how much should I expect to spend on materials for doing a simple component pod for both doors? And what exactly will I need? Any reccomended brands?

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 405
It's all pretty much the same. I recommend the loose fiberglass mat because once you sand it, it holds its shape and appearance better. it won't peel either. Also, to make your shape for the pod, make a skelaton with wooden slats and circles for the speaker hole. and drape it with fleece or other thin cloth and staple it. This will allow you to "preview" your form before draping mat and resin.

Happy Glassing!

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 238
You can find a mounting cut-out at most shops.

You mount the cutout with small pieces of wood, like 1" x 1" x depth, and use 3-4 of those, whatever will fit. You'll want to angle them.

You need a back-board (particle-board, dunno if that's a good suggestion). Maybe .5 or .75" MDF.... .5 seems better than particle-board lol.

Mount the cut-out and the cut-outs' onto the backboard with screws/glue, and pre-drill so those 1 x 1's don't crack.

Lay down strips of fiberglass coated in the resin, wait for it to harden. Do it again. and again. and again until it's thick. Try to shoot for the proper air-space.

Sand. Sand. Sand. Sand. Sand. Sand. Sand. Then sand some more.

Then paint it.

You'll need:
fiberglass
saw that cuts angles
screws + pre-drill
resin
wood - mounting cut-out and 1 x 1 x depth (3-4)/mounts, and backboard
beer
time
proper air space
paint
sander & paper
24 hours
beer

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 408
X2

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 86
Yea if you like to do things yourself I would say you should do it.

A friend of mine got a ID10 for his RSX and he didn't want a big MDF enclosure in his trunk so we decided to learn how to fiberglass . I had never touched the stuff in my life before then and neither had he. We looked up some info online. This is the guide we vaguely followed: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=449041

Anyway it turned out to be a pretty fun little project. Unfortunately we ended up making the box WAY too big and we went back recently to seal up half the box by filling it will "great stuff" and doing a couple of layers of glass over it.

Heres some pix of our project:
Upload
Upload

(sorry I couldn't find some better ones, but u get the jist from these)
Not too shabby for 3 dudes that have never used fiberglass in their lives)

As for materials, id suggest not using plastic cups to mix the resin and hardener like we did, it actually ate though the cups so each time we mixed a batch we were laying strips at light speed, which caused us to look over some bubbles.

For pods a single gallon from home depot should be more than enough
Off the top of my head this is what my supply list would look like:
1 gallon of resin ($20~$30)
fiberglass mat/cloth (we alternated the layers, ~$20)
brushes (<$10)
plastic tarp (<$10)
wooden dowels (<$5)
some 1/2" mdf (~10$)
fleece (<$10)
bondo (<$10)
EDIT: sandpaper (<$10)

We picked up the fleece from a fabric store, it was actually kinda hard to find. You can use the extra wooden dowels as disposable mixing sticks for the resin.

Good Luck with the project! Hope you enjoy it.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 413
X2

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3265
Damn sounds harder than I thought! lol Well thanks for the info guys. I may give this a shot some time down the road.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us