Wires

Silver Member
Username: Thelonewolf

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 297
ok here is the deal, I can get 100' feet of 1/0 welding cable for 2.35 a foot if i buy 100 ft(free shipping) it would be black. I need to do my car including the big 3 and my gf's car. i will have a battery in the back of mine(maybe two) and will be running both + and - back. should i take this deal or should i buy two spools of wire be it 50 or 25 ft red and black? Opinions, or do people have other suggestions on cable?

Silver Member
Username: Kickerman

Post Number: 278
Well knu Kolossus is $175 for 50 ft. So 2 50ft rolls would be $350 plus shipping. The welding cable you mentioned is $325 and shipping is free. So you do the math. Unless you just want the wire to be more flexible i say go with the welding wire. Unless you want some cca. $115 plus shipping for a 50ft roll.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1951
@~17ft a run that would be enough just get some heat shrink to collor code them, tho i have never used welding cable and not shure how well it does as power wire.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24420
It's about budget. If you don't mind the stiffer wire/lack of efficiency then the welding wire is for you. True audio quality wire will have a much higher strand count and much more flex than welding wire. More strands equals better power flow.

If it were me I'd go with higher grade than saving a buck but that's your call. Plus, if I remember right some welding wire is like working with bamboo.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16656
If it were me I'd go with higher grade than saving a buck

x2

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1526
Just go with Shok 1/0.

Silver Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 299
this is "high strand" flex welding cable... and actually... it is 235 for 100 ft...
Here are the specs 1/0 AWG-EPR stranding: 1027/30
Nominal jacket thickness: .080
Nominal OD: .555

I dont know, I am just tying to save some money, but i want what I need you know? im getting a sundown 1500d and have a 100.4d right now, getting a dc power 270xp, not sure on batteries yet.

Silver Member
Username: Chevyfan502

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 226
I've been using 2/0 welding cable for my 2200D. seems to work good (just not super flexible like stated before) but I have never tested other wire like knu in comparison to see if it's a hair louder. Mine seems to be between 1000-2000 strands and of course 100% oxygen free pure copper which seems like the more important factor. IMO I would take welding cable over the CCA crap any day every time. over lets say knu pure copper (I think flex), it depends if your on a tight budget I guess. The welding cable will work great, but if you want without a doubt every little bit of power and got extra money, get knu/kicker/stinger etc. flexibility is a nice bonus as well

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2711
Most audio wires are tinned, Shok isn't, Kicker hyperflex is "silver tinned" which most likely means like .5% silver in whatever they're tinning with, if that.

Good welding wire works great, the really low strand count stuff sucks, but the good high strand count welding wire is just fine imo, not that stiff and all copper.

Silver Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 300
I wasnt even considering CCA I know better than that. I have read the articles that wire is wire is wire... Then I have read the otherside with stuff that is over my head talking about skin effect(which doesnt apply to DC) and other various things.

As far as I know 1/0 should be plenty good size wise to carry the power I will be using. This will be a sound good system with the ability to get semi loud.

I do not want to spend a bunch of money on wire only to find i need to spend more because it does not fit my needs. 100ft for 235 with free shipping is what peaked my interest...

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2712
I'm not talking about cca, but 90% of car audio wire. Most OFC wire is tinned, but you most likely won't notice a difference. If welding wire looked nicer I would use it in my build, but I wanted the fancy jacket.

Silver Member

New Ipswich, NH USA

Post Number: 301
I was referring to the previous poster and mentioning CCA...
This welding cable is not tinned and it will not be seen and where it will be seen I will probably be putting that expandable sleeve stuff on it anyway, to determine + and - incase some moron should need to do something with my car at the mechanic if i have them do any work and so it'll look a little nicer... Thanks I will most likely grab it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us