Difference in these RE subs

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 162
Can someone please tell me the difference between these subs besides price?

First sub: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D160440495587&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Second sub: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D360264980446&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D360264980446%26_sacat%3D0%26_odkw%3D3602649804%2B46%26_osacat%3D0%26bkBtn%3D%26_trksid%3Dm270%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Just in case the links don't work the first sub's item number is: 160440495587 and the second sub's item number is: 360264980446

I have also posted pics. Thanks.
Upload
Sub 1 Picture 1
Upload
Sub 1 Picture 2
Upload
Sub 2

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 857
I may be wrong, but I think the question has arose before. The older RE subs had a guy who is with Fi now design them and now that he has left, they're made differently. The older models are more desirable.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 164
OK. Which one is which?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8093
Yes, the X-series subs are the newer version. Scott from Fi designed the older 12-spoke versions. (grey basket)

I have only played around w/ the new SE-X subs, but the old version was much better. RE cheaped out on the new ones...makes me sad

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1247
go with the old versions, not -x models. new designs are now no better than kicker, mtx, jbl and things along that line

Username: Yungndumb

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 9
@ ryan idk if you can put their products that low quite yet, but i have literally heard all of their subs ( the shop i go to has installed literally every model and they hit me up to come check it out after installs. cool people) but as for RE durable products but it comes down to what you are looking for out of these RE's...Power or SQ....RE's generally have both but if there is a specific sound you are looking for, there are better alternatives...

Bronze Member
Username: Perfectcircle

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 53
Just my 2 cents worth. but scott atwell did design the newer model xxx aswell to all of the older models. I think thats the only one. The mt's I don't believe have been changed since scott stopped designing for them. Any other model I believe is new design.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16393
according to the RE dealer in my country he says RE has stopped production of the MX series ....i wud have thought the mx wud be a nice sub instead of the heavy XXX but it seems like it was a poor seller or something

hey canaan - when u say not as good : did u mean the newer RE u worked with sound less as loud or does not drop as low as the older model ? ...

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5632
As soon as Scott left RE, their quality has not been the same since.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5633
As soon as Scott left RE to start up FI, RE's quality has not been the same since.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 267
you have me thinking back in school, like which sentence is correct? sentence 1 or sentence 2? lol

Bronze Member

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 11
well as for the MT's those are more of a SQL in comparison to the XXX woofer...loud, but better quality and cheaper to PROPERLY INSTALL...a lot of people don't realize that they need 2 amps to power on DVC XXX series amp...and that means you need to either replace or rebuild your alternator as well upgrade or get a second or possibly third battery...As for the MX's RE has never specified the output of these woofers, but I have seen those handle 1800 watts. rms....beasty subs, but as for quality..I would say they would outlast and outperform any of your more commercial brands...JL, Kicker, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc....But before making a decision be sure you have adequate power to push these subs, because these can leave you stranded somewhere if you don't...

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
i think the mt is their spl sub and rated at like 1500 watts rms, but will take more easily.
why 2 amps for an xxx? makes no sense to me, does that mean any dvc sub needs 2 amps to power on the sub?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11156
Um you don't need 2 amps to run an XXX Or any sub for that matter. Those do fine on 1000w, and there are plenty of amps more powerful than that.

Bronze Member

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 12
@M.S....so your saying a sub that handles 2000watts rms only needs one 1000w amp?...that makes no sense...and i read have read instructions from RE given to the car audio shop I go to for proper installation of the XXX series subwoofer...you need an amp for each voice coil...These are installation instructions from the manufacture...take a look at the shaqillac set up they used 4 MD2D amps for both 12"s and you have to use 2inch thick MDF to support the weight of the woofer itself....and as for my last comment reverse the MT with MX i goofed up on the woofer titles..

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1216
Where is this shop located at yungndumb?

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 407
Ur name holds true

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
your misunderstanding something, that would mean every dvc sub needs 2 amps to push it.. and that answer is wrong.
you don't ever want to hook up an amp on just 1 voice coil
you have it confused with "strapping" 2 amps on a sub.
its ok to give a sub rated at 2000 watts only 1000 watts
you could have 2 re xxx's and 1 power acoustik 4000 watt amp and think you are pushing 2000 to each sub but your not even near that, most people that have amps like that, are not knowledgable with car audio and don't have an electrical to supply 4000 watts even if they really had it, so thats underpowering the subs but thats ok.
what happens when your only listening to your music %50 volume. your not drawing anywhere near full current of your amp and getting no where close to its rated output, you are underpowering your sub, but the sub will be ok.

Bronze Member

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 13
it is located on 7th street and camelback...it is called soundz n performance.

http://www.sndznperformance.com/

these guys do great custom installs...The owner is loaded he has all kinds of old 60' 70's cars that he had custom remodeled...the installers have done many cars for SEMA...these guys are the only certified dealers for RE products in AZ..they also work with and my favorite Image Dynamics...they have one of the nicest H2's i have ever seen and heard with nothing but ID products inside....they are very high end...they offer genesis amps and are certified dealers of genesis, but you have to request those amps to be pre ordered... very nice shop..I wouldn't let anyone else do my installs in the state...

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
i dont let anyone else do my installs period. lol i dont like to throw away money for no reason, when more than half the time i am more knowledgeable than the installers

Bronze Member

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 14
@ crwuck...i know what you are saying, but these subs are so underrated, that this is what RE recommends in order to have optimal performance out of the XXX series...a lot of people don't install this way and end up under-powering their subs...but this doesn't hold true to all subs, but like you said simply hooking up a 4000watt amp doesn't get it done...seriously you can shoot them a question and they will probably tell you the same...But there could be other ways to install them..this was just one presented to them from RE...

and if you remember the westcoast customz show when they did shaq's cadillac?...WELL they did not install the XXX series sub properly at all from the power, to the size of the box needed. If you remember they used plexiglass for the box front...well weeks after the show shaq ended up giving westcoast customz back the car because the subs fell through the box and the trunk was ultimately destroyed...W.C.C. ended up rebuilding the system, but now whenever you see the Shaqiullac at car shows, they never open the trunk....

@ Zack yea whatever bruh!...but the installer and I think owner for this shop are from the Westside of chicago. I am from southshore...and knowing about the car scene in chicago (washington park or the circle during the summer or south chicago) I know all about it...and as for these guys they know what the deal is when it comes to custom cars and great sounds...

Bronze Member

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 15
@ cwruck lol i don't blame you, however I know how to install, but I'd rather pay someone else to install my stereo because they will be liable for anything that goes wrong...personally I don't trust myself enough to install my own equipment especially if it cost a lot...

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1217
Isnt that where chronic car audio was before? The worst shop to go to in phoenix. Id have to stop by on of these days and check out their store...

Bronze Member

Scottsdale, AZ

Post Number: 16
yup...chronic audio...SMH...those fools...they did the impossible..be worse than Audio Express lmao!

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 72
well guys gotta love the internet just gonna spit alittle knowledge. the Re audio Re ,Sr, Se, Sx series subwoofers their motors always came from china and their cones were assembled in the usa . and the reason the switched the baskets out was because everyone uses 12 spoke baskets dc audio, fi audio,ascendant, american bass, and they wanted to be different now personally i like the 12 spoke look better but as far as the subs they still sound the same.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

KY USA

Post Number: 706
the mx series subs catch fire pretty often, they stopped granting warranty on them not too long ago. It costs 120 to fix the 12inch sub. I have pictures of what cars look like after the sub catches fire. I dont sell RE bu my competitor does and everyone who bought the MX series has had trouble. I dont know if this has anything to do with them discontinuing the line or not just my 2 cents.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us