2 8w7s, they are not yet impressive

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 16
OK. I installed the 2 8w7 in a sealed box w/ jl 750 hd. They don't pound or sound impressive.

This could be due to several reasons. Still have the stock HU (which has a processor for the change in "volts" so I only used a loc). The box is sealed (that should not make so much difference, right?) or because they are not yet broken in.

Please give me feedback. I know they are only 8s but they were suppose to be these awesome subs. I spent $1500 to have it sound like this? 15 years ago I bought 2 mtx 12s for $100 that sounded better. WTF??!!! I'm freaking out!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2082
well for $1500..........they saw you coming

what exactly was included in this $1500 charge?

an aftermarket HU would make things much better im sure

Silver Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 132
1) how long have you had them, because good subs can take 2 weeks before performing properly since the the tinsel is very tight

2) did you set your gains properly

3) 8inch subs in a sealed box will have a very tight sound and will be punchy, they will not be loud as they will be accurate

"I bought 2 mtx 12s for $100 that sounded better"

sounded better how?

x2 an aftermarket HU would make things much better im sure

loc are ok but they never give you the same performance as an aftermarket hu and generally i believe are not worth the money. I know you dont want to change the hu to keep the stock look but not too many loc's perform the way there supposed too

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 17
2 8w7s (540), sealed box (jl specs) (140), jl hd 750 (450), meta wire kit (150), jl remote bass knob (30) and installation (125). I didn't pay a lot for any of this. That's $1,435 total.

Now when u say much better w/a HU, I hope you mean MUCH better.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 18
I just had it put in last night. 1 hour of listening. Will the break in make much difference?

Also, I didn't set the gains, I had the installation done at a JL certified dealership and they should have done that. Maybe they kept them low until they are broken in?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still shaking. WTF. I am not wealthy and I have always wanted some hard punchy accurate bass. I spent a lot (for me) It doesn't have to be loud but this is way too quiet.

Username: Cbucks

Ri Usa

Post Number: 4
i know this might sound odd but try turning your box around and facing it fowards. the same thing happend to me i was pissed i turned my box foward and now it slaps i think it just the shape of the car ect. It is also definetly because they are not broken in yet too and amp is probly tuned low. Also a good head unit that can tune bass and has specific setting for subwoofer can make a huge dififfernce the amp is also gettting better volts sent in through the rca instead of the converter they use to put the signal to the amp with the stock radio

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 291
1. they're 8s
2. in a sealed box
3. aren't broken in
4. just cuz someone is certified doesn't mean they give a sh1t

try checking the gains on your amp, possibly get a ported box, change direction of your box, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1981
didnt you post a thread asking if you should get a 12 or a 10?

BTW i notice your in rochester, where did you get this setup if you dont mind me asking.

IMO you got a decent deal for the subs and amp but the wire kit was a rip off even if its 1/0 and the bass nob was just a waste of money imo. having said that I would have never bought any of your components though (subs and amp) you would have been much happier getting somthing like a fi q 12 and a audio q 1200 and both would have ran you only ~$500 shipped.

but your disappointed because of what smith said. HU will make no difference as long as the gain is set correctly in terms of output anyways.

Considering you already have the equipment a Ported box would be my suggestion. also those subs really need 1000+ for the pair to really shine. To compensate for the low level of power you can build the box a little bit larger than spec to gain some efficiency. you will be surprised ant how much louder just a box will make the system though and its a relatively cheap solution.

if the box dosnt do it for ya then you need a) more power or b) new subwoofers that are meant more for the 750 watts you have and or larger subs or c) new amp and subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
i would wait before spending more money until they they're properly broken in

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3066
breaking in isn't going to make a huge difference, if it was going to be a setup to his satisfaction it would be close as of right now. well to start you went wrong with the amp and got ripped on the wiring kit. coulda saved at least $200 right there. sealed box won't make too big a difference either.

box positioning may be a factor, but i doubt it. either that or something is wired/set wrong. i would invest in a new head unit for sure, whether its $80 or $300. check your connections/settings, possibly a new HU, and if that doesn't make things fly in the right direction, nothing will and all i can say is you're stupid for buying 8's. could've got a 13.5w7 for the same price which would sh!t on those.

vvv below me - yes ported does make a difference but not as much as he's looking for.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
in my experience, ported does make a big difference in loudness, but thats just my opinion.

and x2 that you went with the wrong amp and shuda coulda woulda got a 13.5w7 for that price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
X3 - yes ported does make a difference but not as much as he's looking for

especially since they're 8's but i still think that you cannot judge a sub after 1 hour, especially if they are 8's since the tinsell tends to fairly tight but i agree with the previous 2 comments that the w7 would have been louder

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22250

quote:

1) how long have you had them, because good subs can take 2 weeks before performing properly since the the tinsel is very tight

?

Ported box is more efficient but it won't blow your mind away in the difference. They ARE only 8's so what exactly were you expecting? Ditto on break in, don't expect much more.

1 nice 10" or 12" single would've worked better IMO. $540 opens the world in a decent/great 10" or 12" single sub setup on that power. Hell even a 15"

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3249
Guys, he already bought the system, telling him he spent too much or too little or got ripped off won't help him at all. Let's try to stay focused. Consider this...

16(pi) = 50.25 sq. in.
2(16(pi))= 100.5
36(pi) = 113
2(36(pi)) = 226

(rough calculations) A 12" sub is going to give you more than twice the cone area of 8". This doesn't necessarily mean a 12 is going to be twice as loud as an 8.

Could you have bought different equipment for less? Yes. but is this below average equipment? No. You can make this setup work though, you definitely have a good start.

To start, you need a new head unit. Get one with like 4 or 5 volts outputs. Make sure that your gain is set correctly with a dmm. **Make sure the remote bass controller is just that, remote bass, not remote gain, if it is not remote gain, don't change it around.** Reset the gain when you get the new head unit. Additionally, you may want to reconsider a ported setup. Don't change it yet, get a new head unit first, then reconsider if you don't like the sound. If you wanted boomier, louder bass, you should reconsider a pair of 12s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Yes for example idmax need 2 weeks for break in

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 297
I'd say get a custom slot ported enclosure for the subs. Make sure your gains are set correctly and give those subs time to break in. Get a new HU as well. Make sure to get 4 volt pre-outs.

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 52
wow why do so many people say break in period really matters? it really doesnt. i believe it does help, but i dont think its that big of a performance gain. And the box means alot! I would get a ported box slightly larger than jls specs.. ive done it with jl and its not going to mess up the sq, which say may say. but did you do research on the 8'' w7s before buying them? They are meant to be extremely accurate and thats about it. They are not going to push out rediculous bass.
so you dont need to worry about "breaking" them in and then see how they sound, its not going to start pushing out alot more bass, if you break them in, they will just start to sound better on the sound quality side, but nothing really on the spl side. i know people will want to argue about that, but its the truth

so the things to try is to buy a new hu.
go with a slightly bigger than specs ported box.
but like i said the 8w7s are just meant for pure sq, basically to blend in with the music, basically to make it sound like there is no sub in your car. so if your looking for output you bought the wrong subs.. sorry man that sucks

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
^^^ x2

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5394
8's should be pretty loud, especially those. Here was a vid of my old school MTX's 8's... showing you they should get pretty loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrvecc75fy0

I say check all connections, gains, settings etc. Take it one step at a time.

Ri Usa

Post Number: 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0r0xutbumk&feature=related check out some single vids too they will bump you just have to tweak your system

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7902
ok...why has this not been asked yet...

what vehicle?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3447
There's 6 of them though.

Doesn't seem too impressive.

Ri Usa

Post Number: 6
probly somthing with some beefy back leather seath with a tight sealed trunk

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2960
how long have you had them, because good subs can take 2 weeks before performing properly since the the tinsel is very tight "

"8inch subs in a sealed box will have a very tight sound and will be punchy, they will not be loud as they will be accurate"

Wow.........just because they are 8's doesn't mean they will be tight and punchy. and I hope to death his tinsels weren't tight to begin with lol.

Make sure the subs are wired correctly to the amp as well, if you're not satisfied in the output in a few weeks then I'd say go with a ported box.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 19
Thank you to all who have commented. Please don't bash me cuz I did research as best I could. This last comment was interesting cuz I have a 2009 Elantra with leather interior. When I opened the trunk and listened from the back it was way better. I will check the gains but what should they be set at? Also, I paid 145 for the wiring kit that includes dist block so that another amp is easily installed. I can't imagine getting this stuff cheaper cuz I really searched around. WTF is going on with the utube vids of these guys w/ these 8s saying their system is off the hook? I will move the box around, check the amp settings and wait til they are broken in. Then when I get more money, I might get a ported box, it's not much bigger right? If still sucks, new HU. The specs say that 375 watts for one is best. Guess they were wrong. Does anyone have these 8s in a sealed box? Thanks again for all ur input. I have no one to ask about this stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
lol ok so i really meant the suspension and not the tinsel but still those subs are very stiff when out of box thats all i meant and to wait before buying more stuff, especially if the shop didnt set up his gains which is probably likely since there is a break in period and the shop might not have told him about it. And yes I agree the ported box makes the most sense, its just that it sucks to tell him to buy a new box when he just bought one.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4297
Break-in period....Pahhhlease. Like some other people in this thread commented, you're not going to all of a sudden get more bass after hours of playing... It's not going to be very noticeable, if at all. Your cars trunk being totally blocked off from the seats will rob you of a couple dB's. Do your seats flip down?

Any return policy? Why don't you go back there and tell them you're not happy at all. See if you can exchange the subs for something else or get your money back and get something that gives you more bang for your buck.

quote:

WTF is going on with the utube vids of these guys w/ these 8s saying their system is off the hook?

Maybe off the hook for a pair of 8's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7903
hate to say it, but in that trunk with that power u would have been far better off with 2-10s ported. if u were stuck on JL...2 w3v3 10s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
the vid with the 8s is with a completely different set up. they are mtx subs.. not jl 8w7s. mtx subs are meant for spl.. not really for sq.
i think he posted that vid just to show that 8s can pound, but that really doesnt apply to your situation.
but you should take the advice given and go back to that shop and tell them your not satisfied and that you would like your money back for your subs or to do an exchange for something different. it doesnt seem like you want a straight sq system, but you want spl. thats probably why you spent so much money. thinking that if your going to spend almost $1500 that your system better pound for the money.

just try a ported box first and if you hear a major improvement then get an aftermarket hu. but if a ported box doesnt help, and you cant exchange the subs, you might jus need to take a loss and sell them to get something different. or see if someone wants to trade you subs.
because you do have nice wires and a nice amp, which would make you happy with a different set of subs

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3250
or trade in the two 8's for a 12w7 High Output box if you want to stay JL and that thing will bumppp

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13556
I told you those subs would probably hit in the low 120's looks like i was right. Im sorry to hear your disappointed.

Ri Usa

Post Number: 7
i have big leather seats in my car too i turned my subs and faced them forward and when i bump them i usually put the backseat down the difference is unbelievable i can believe how much sound my back seat sucks up im plannin on maybe making a backseat center console with a 10"sub in it or cutting a hole in the back deck in beteween the 6x9s to let the system breath into the cabin atleast and yes i have faced my subs backwards maybe deeper on a few notes but they just rattle more and dont sound better i have some strategicley placed peaces of dynomat on my inside trunk lid but nothing special so i would try facing the subs forward and opening the back seats if u can see how they sound then. I have also heard the best thing to do if facing them forward is the best is to seal your box off to the back of the trunk.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16025
not familiar with ur car but the interior of some cars may actually make the best of subs sound weak

few wks ago i did a 12" idmax box designed by id tech guys to go in car like this
Upload

a toyota mkii & the sub\box sounded pretty lame in it , no where close as it sounds in my wagon (big difference in vehicle acoustics of course) ...i think it was caused by the factory wall to wall carpeting in that trunk along with only 2 vent holes in the rear dash which seems to stiffle the sound ...tried 2 different boxes & it still sounded weak , i told him to get a different sub or 2 subs for more cone area instead since it seems like his trunk is not idmax friendly

so maybe its whats happening in ur case too ...though those JLs like others already said are meant for moe SQ than loud so it cud also be that ur expecting too much from it especially from a sealed box too ... a sealed box is said to be 3dbs less or 1\2 as loud as a ported box

u shud try placing ur subs in friends car to listen if they do sound better or worst

just trying to help ....

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 302
I've got a question. Are the woofers flexing a lot? If they're pounding and still aren't loud enough for you then you know you either need a ported enclosure or a different set up. If theyre barely moving though something else must be up. On that amp in a sealed enclosure those subs should be moving pretty nicely.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1453
Well i briefly read everyone else's post so sorry if i repeat anything. Anyway i think 2 8w7 should definitely pound, i dont see them as just pure sq subs, I also dont think they need in the 1000's to shine. Those new hd amps are supposed to be really nice i honestly think that amp could own those subs. A couple other things you could check out into would be..

1. Check out the amp weather its hp/lp and also see what the input voltage is on.
2. I suppose they could be out of phase. Although i have never seen that in your situation i have heard some stories.
3. Also maybe try putting your seats down and see how they sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
sorry but i have to agree with sean 100% i dont see these hitting more than 125 dbs.. maybe they can do 125 but no where past 130 for sure. which yes you can say thats "bumpin" but not really compared to what a 10'' or 12'' jl can do. and i think hes expecting much more for the money he spent..
and i highly doubt the amp is set up in hp.. can that amp even do that? its a class d mono right? but even if it was in hp he would really have no output which i dont think is the case
and yes putting your seats down will help but not that much..
i have a bmw with leather seats and i just put 1 seat down.. when i put both down its not as loud and the sq is horrible.
but i also have my sub facing forward, so that may be the reason for that. the reason i face mine forward is i think it sounds better like that, and my trunk is so offcentered all the air escapes out of my trunk and it just bounces the trunk.. basically just sounding like crap.
still with the sub forward my trunk bounces but what can you do when you have 1500 watts on a dd? lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 7913
try repositioning the box. with the seats up...try box centered in the trunk, subs firing back, about 10 inches from the back of the trunk.

tell me how that sounds. lows better?
smoother transition?
better attack?
peak freq?
horrible rattle?

tell me....i'll send u a ported design to try.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7914
oh....also the w7 is not really know for out put. after reading your posts, if u would have shown up at the shop lookinf for bass i would havwe got u in 2 dd1510 on dd cm1. likely 2.8cuft subs and port back.

u dont need 1500w to be loud. the most common power level i sell is 400-600w. design is key.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4309
sounds like a broken record, but it is true. JL is OVERPRICED!

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
And to think....you could have avoided this if you made a "should I buy these" thread......

just saying......

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 20
Thanks again everyone. Sean, I don't know what 120s db sound like. I am going to change the HU this weekend. X fingers it makes it much better.

I should have gone with 2 10w7s. Then I know what they can do. Not doubt they can get low enough and hit hard enough. I guess the hype on the 8s are just that. I will see if I can exchange and pay the difference for 10s. It's $200 difference, then new box blah blah blah

Gold Member

Post Number: 4312
..........or you could sell what you got and get ahold of Canaan and go with DD...

oh, and 120 dB can be achieved w/o subs.. fairly easily

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 21
Sean, I don't know what 120s db sound like. I probably should have gone with the dual 10w7s. They will definitely drop low and hit hard. I guess the 8w7 hype is just that.

However, I'm going to change the HU this weekend and w/crossed fingers it will play much better.

Thanks for the responses

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 22
Thanks Smith. I'd hate to be down in a fight with you. lol I am going to change the HU to hopefully get improvement.

OK then, help with a HU choice w/out breaking the bank. I have steering wheel controls and XM built into the stock HU. I want to keep the XM service and use the wheel controls. The stock HU is "2 din" (takes double the space). It seems the DVD players aren't much more money. Also, it would be nice to have built in bluetooth.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 23
PIONEER FH-P800BT ? any good $275

Gold Member

Post Number: 7916
If they will do a trade-in, go with W3v3 10's in a ported box on that amp.

You will be far happier.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 24
Sean, I'm probably going to buy the exlipse 5030 HU. I hope it makes the difference. If Someone doesn't agree, please speak up!

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 25
Mark Scafetta, I bought everything online but had the stereo shop install. Don't think they were really putting their attention to the job though.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 26
UPDATE! Two things have helped so far. The gains are correct on the amp.

1. I had the box directly behind the back seat firing upwards. (Gave me more room in trunk this way) Then I put it so that the speakers were firing directly into the back of the seat. (It got worse). Then, I put the box facing the rear of the trunk/car. (BETTER). Finally, I kept the box facing the rear of the trunk/car and moved the box almost to the rear of the trunk, (farther from the back seat). That was the BEST and biggest improvement. I was suprised at what a difference the positioning of the box will make.

2. Also, I plugged in an Ipod and all of the speakers became about 25% louder and clearer than the CD or radio. BIG difference. Why is that?

Does this mean that if I replace the HU, the CD/Radio will sound as good as the Ipod?

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
i was merely stating the facts. I just hate to see this happen. people post what they're getting without asking the forum regulars how the setup will perform and are disappointed when the subs they ordered aren't what they wanted.

I am glad your setup is starting to come together.
4 8w7s down the line would be sweet.

as for the ipod question, do you have the eq on it set to bass boost or something like that?

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 27
Also, putting my rear seats down to expose the trunk makes a small difference.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 307
You could sell your subs on ebay and get most of your money back, if not all if you decide you're just not satisfied. One 12 w7 would do well on that amp, in the right ported enclosure. That's if you wanted to stick with JL. JL subs are great but they're always going to be more geared toward SQ than anything else. A 12 w7 will get plenty loud but if you're shooting for something that is going to be more impressive, I second checking into Digital Designs. Look in a set of the 1500s, either 1512 or even 1510s. The amp you have now would do alright with those subs. There again, as mentioned, if you wated to stick to JL 2 w3s would be a great choice as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
the only thing though about dd is they do not have the sq compared to jl.. but they bump so hard they will destroy your car. but if you really dont have the ear for sq it would be a good idea to get rid of those 8w7s and get a dd sub. but if you do like the sq of jl a pair of w3s are wonderful, you can get 2 for like 300 shipped brand new and they will sound wonderful on that amp and will hit all the notes you want even the low ones and sound good. again its all about the box

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3449

Gold Member

Post Number: 7920
Well, SQ is very subjective. Many people don't actually like the sound of a W7, they say it sounds 'dry'...and I agree, I prefer the W6v2 to the W7 as far as SQ goes. And I further prefer the old Adire Brahma MKII's to the W6v2.

As for DD, what type of installs have you seen with DD? Likely the guys going for loud daily systems and SPL...they build their boxes accordingly. Now, take say a DD2512 and build box for SQ, then tell me DD is just an SPL-brand :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4313
IMO DD equipment is probably the best thing going (all around) atm. As far as US companies are concerned.

Itailian designers have us beat is SQ.

again. just my opinion.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 29
What do you people think of 2 10w7s instead of 2 8w7s? IMO (which means so little), I like the way the 8w7s sound, just not enough "FEEL" of the bass. I like the way it sounds, I just want more of it. Would a pair of 10w7s do the trick? Harder and deeper?

Or if I put in 4 nice 6 1/2 door speakers amped up they might fill the cabin with the "feel" of the bass that I'm missing?

I'm concerned about porting the 8s becuz I don't want it to sound like a bunch of rumbling.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 30
Cal Payne: 2 10w7s would put out 2(25(pi))=157, that's huge over a meager 100.5. Maybe that will make the difference?

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 289
Ever think of looking outside of Jl audio? Just seems like ur wanting a more spl oriented system and jl is more sq. But if that's wat u like it's obvisous u got money to blow

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
Get 2 more 8w7s haha.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2089
check into image dynamics IDQ 12s

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2035/IDQ12V2D4--Image-Dynamics-12%22-IDQ-Dual-4-Ohm-S ubwoofer.htm

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 290
X2 on wat Daniel said. 2 12s should increase ur output quite a bit and u won't have to lose any sound quality

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 310
I wouldn't go with 2 10 w7s. Why? Because the amp you have now will do great for one of them, but if running 2, they would only be seeing half their capable power. You would then need to upgrade your power, to either one larger amp, or another 750/1. That is going to mean more money spent on the amp(s), plus the extra price to the 10w7s, and to run that amount of power you would then need to upgrade your alternator. You'd be fine going with w3s or even a different line of woofers.

Ri Usa

Post Number: 9
i just did the big 3 upgrade in my car and the difference is unbelievable my lights dont dim yea good but my amp is putting out more rms and whole system just sounds better. would highly reccomend it cost me $18.75 at car audio store 5 ft rockford 2 gauge and 6 ring terminals. Give it a try i think any thing that will add a little more bump will make u happy after all the money and aggrivation plus a small difference decible wise make a big difference to the ear
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us