OT- HID's with power fluctuation of source

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 392
So my last remaining silverstar bulb went out a few days ago and I am looking for a more affordable way to have high intensity lights at a lower price. I'm tired of paying 40 bucks for bulbs that only last me less than a year so I've been thinking about switching to HID's (specifically the DDM 55w 6000k for around $40).

My main reason for asking on here is- Will my demanding sub and speaker amps effect the HID's? I know there are lots of people out there with flashing problems because their HID's do not get enough power (they are also not relaying the HID's to the battery but rather using small gage stock wiring). If my subs are to burp on a big note could it flash on and off my HID's?

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3246
if you upgrade your harnesses and relay the HID's, you shouldn't have a problem.

what amp are you running? more efficient amps will help. For example, I had a hifonics bxi1206 and my lights dimmed with every beat. When I upgraded to a DD M1 (almost 1800 rms (birth sheet)) my headlights didn't dim.

Do you really need your headlights on if you're doing a burp? or do just mean when you're bumpin hard?

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 393
I meant "burp" as an expression of "bumpin hard" on a deep extended note but not referencing to competitions/metering or the such.

My larger amp (the main power consumer) is an ED Nine.1 and I believe it to be a relatively efficient amp. My headlights don't dim unless I am cranking up the tunes past comfort level however I don't want my headlights to set the boundary of how loud I can play my music. I have a feeling if my lights are flickering a bit when turned up all the way, then with HID's I may have a bigger problem.

I will defiantly be doing a relay and probably upgrade the power cables to a higher gauge.

I'm starting to think maybe a small cap installed at the HID's could do the trick.

Another thing I'll have to worry about is blinding other drivers. Not sure how i'm going to solve that problem yet.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3247
well, to avoid blinding drivers, you have to have proper housings (projectors) and take the time to actually aim your HID's correctly.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 394
That would be the reason I am questioning my thoughts on ordering them. I don't have another $200 to spend on projectors but I do a lot of night driving and really need brighter lights where I drive. Without the proper lighting the deer/animals in the Texas hill-county can be dangerous and life-threatening.

Thats why I'm looking into all my alternatives hoping to find an affordable answer safe for myself and other drivers.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2292
i don't think it will mess with ur lights as much as u think. if they do i would worry about ur amp going bad before i would the HIDs.
those lights should shine up and playing ur sub will not make them blink or dim at all. even if u had dimming before

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3248
Upgrading your harness usually improves lighting a decent amount. You can look into aftermarket lighting. Fog lights, driving lights, and even pre-built HID lights would help you out a lot depending on the car you drive. What kind is it?

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 395
I have a landcruiser with a brush guard so fog lights or exterior driving lights are my main other options. I'm just trying to weigh out the prices right now. A decent set of fog lights or driving lights (thinking Hella for around $80) will cost well over the $40 it would take for HID conversion.

I've heard rumors that adjusting your light reflectors downwards will solve most of the HID blinding problem but I am skeptical to how well this would work.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2297
who cares who u blind!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us