Tinsel lead problem

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2616
my friends sub has a tinsel lead problem and i was wondering if there was a way to attach a new one or if i can use just a small gauge wire without taking the sub apart

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10751
the tinsel leads are the two wires going from the speaker terminals on the basket to the speaker cone on the back side. if you try to solder these, you need to use a fluxless solder, else the solder will travel up the leads and make them brittle, and they'll snap again.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22110
Not to mention you'd have to find very flexible wire for a tinsel lead to begin with.

Silver Member
Username: Dlavante

C-town, Oregon

Post Number: 249
had to learn that the hard way a few years back

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2617
i got it working again i just had to mcgyver it

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1937
actually a buddy of mines has 2 subs with 3 bad leads. only one coil reads as of now.

there rd sonances so im quite confused as to how this happened as ive never hard of anyone having this problem with sonances before.

i was going to solder some wires in their place but i dont have fluxless solder so thats good thing i didnt try.

Is there any other way to do this id like to fix them if possible but a recone may be in order.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 273
I've repaired a CVR 12 with that problem.

I just pushed the tinsel lead back together and put a heatshrink tube around it and and use a long lighter and shrink it.

i just put aluminum foil around the cone so the heat wouldn't mess with it

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1940
the problem with the sonances is that the leads are under the spiders so that wont be possible for me :\

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 275
oh..... that sucks

recone.....................

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1944
^^^ i guess so..... I might try to solder some leads on just for fun but im sure they wont old up long might solder a bunch on while in in there. might also try to disassemble carefully to save the soft parts if the leads dont take. all i got to lose is the lead wires themselves since the subs are not operational at the moment.

If i ruin the spiders or surround trying to remove them w/o damaging them then so be it i need a recone anyways. might as well try.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2618
ya i had to take another lead from a blown sub i had laying around and i weaved the two together and taped it and were it connects there is a lil metal piece so i just had to bend it and clamp the wire in between and taped it up now its workin like a champ lol

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1800
happened a couple of times to me with my solo x i solderd on small gauge wire and it was fine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us