Sub stopped working

Username: Vitarajay

Gloucester, Gloucestershire ENGLAND

Post Number: 4
Hi

I got a new head unit for xmas...i unplugged the old one and rca leads from the sub/amp..plugged the new one in and plugged the rca leads into the new one...but the sub/amp arent working....I have tried putting the rca leads in the rear out and the front out and i have put the red into the red and the black rca in the white as it was in the old one....
I have made sure the settings on the head unit are ok but it doesnt have an option for the sub, so it should just work....
any ideas whats wrong???

The amp power light iasnt on but i check the leads to the battery and they are all fine, and the fuse isnt blown.....

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Post Number: 691
check the remote wire. it might not work on the new head unit.

Post Number: 5
the remote wire? is that the one that is in the middle of the rca leads? the tiny thin one?
where should that be attached too?

Post Number: 6
i have just had another look and i think this is the problem....

My remote wire from the amp isnt connected to anything on the head unit end....i will need to snip one of the wires to attach the remote but im not sure which one....its normally blue, will it be blue on this one too? should i just snip the blue, attach the amp remote to the end of the blue coming out of the head unit and tape off the other end?

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 579
depends what kind of deck you have but it should be blue and white coming off of the deck

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 115
the remote wire is just a 12V lead, put a multi meter on it and verify it if nothing look at the Manuel. if you really wanted you could just run a wire from a 12V source to a switch then to the amps.

Post Number: 7
it hasnt got a blue and white....all the speak wires are labeled and the yellow red and black so i figured it would be the blue as its left over....it has a very thin wire coming out of the head unit itself, not the block....what will that be?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 116
not sure, just put the multi meter on there and if it read's 12V thats the remote. you should only have voltage when its turned on. thats the best way to go from hear that i can think of.

Post Number: 8
i havent got a multi-meter though :-(

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 117
aww, you should get one. if nothing else take the remote wire that is hooked up to the amp(s) and tap it to the blue if amps come on thats your guy. then try head unit on and off and check amps. if all goes well u win a prize.

Post Number: 9
haha

I have managed to borrow a multi meter so im going to test the blue wire and the one comingout of the back of the head unit on its own to see which is 12v and attach it to which ever one says 12v.....this should then send power to the amp...right?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 118
if they both read 12V you might need to power cycle your head unit it should read 0v if the unit is off and 12v when on.

Post Number: 10
Ok, only one tested through 12v....well it was more around 11v....i wired it up to that and its all working now :-)

Only thing i need to fix now is it resets ever time iturn the engine off....i need the yellow and red crossed over dont i?? They havent got spliters on them so il have to do it the old fashioned way i think...

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 119
no no no, the yellow is your constant voltage and the red is your switched (the one that only shows 12V when you turn you key). never twist the two except for show envermints aka when you have them hooked up in a store or in your house like i do. never in the car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
oh...on my old one they had splitters and they were switched so the radio didnt lose its memory when it was switched off

How do i stop it resetting when the ignition is switched off?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 120
on your wireing harness for power you should have red(ignition 12V) yellow(constant 12V) and black( ground). use the multi meter and make sure the yellow has 12V when key is out, and red dosent. turn the key the red should now have power if its backwards switch wires that should fix it. if you have aim im me at gcsviii might make this a little faster
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us