Two Fi X- 4ohm DVC at 2 ohms?/ Unstable Amp?

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 387
I gave my buddy my old two 4 ohm Fi X 12's and told him as long as he can run them around 600wrms he will be a very pleased with them. He went out this morning and bought a Kicker ZX 750.1 amp and we did not realize it was not 1 ohm stable until just now.

Question- How can we run the X's using this amp?

Is there a way to run the two DVC 4ohm subs at 2 ohms? If not, what would happen if we ran the ZX 750 at 1 ohm (assuming theoretically 1500wrms) and turned down the gain to push equivalent to 600wrms? Would the amp be stable enough?

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 388
And I realize its probably not possible 2 get it at 2 ohms unless there is a miracle trick out there that I'm not familiar with; better to ask and be right than to not ask and be wrong...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10811
Nope not gonna work. Return the amp and get one thats 2 ohm stable.... try Alpine

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 389
He bought it on craigslist so returning is not much of an option. What would happen is he were to run it at 1 ohm and keep the gain turned down to only a 3rd of the power? Would the amp still run to hot even though he is only drawing a 3rd of the power?

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 250
just cut yr losses and get a different amp bud.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2037
If you're running it at 1 ohm and turning it down really low you may as well running at a higher (safe) load and adjust accordingly.

Have him buy a 2nd amp, getting about 750 per sub (more along the rms of the type-x anyway). Or just run 1 sub on that 750

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5101
Did I miss something? If the amp is 1 ohm stable, Then I'm pretty sure it is gonna be 2 ohm stable. Output is another story.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 146
The only real option with what you have is to run the subs at a 4 ohm load to the amp. You don't want to run them at one ohm if the amp is only 2 ohm stable. Your subs will be underpowered at 4 ohms but there's no other way of setting them up with that amp and those subs.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 252
i never owned that amp or subs but you could run at 4ohms and if its possible you could strap another amp to it? so its not so underpowered? idrk im talking outa my asssss

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 390
Thank you Shawn- I think you are the only one who truly understood the question.

Guys, these are the Fi X's, not the alpine Xs....
And no, the amp is not stable at 1 ohm, its the subs I cant wire to down to a 2 ohm load- not the amp.

Second amp- Really? for only 600wrms total sounds kind of silly but maybe that's just me.

If he had the money, taking a loss for buying the zx 750.1 would not be such a big deal to him.

I guess I will just advise him to wire it at 4 ohms so the amp does not overheat on him until I find out if it's safe to keep it at 1 ohm with minimum output. For now, he can keep the subs underpowered by 100wrms each and buy a new amp in the future.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 147
Sounds like a plan. He could save up for a new amp in the meantime then sell the 750.1 afterwards to make up for some of the cost. The 750.1 is a great amp, just only 4 or 2 ohm stable.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15736
r these subs 4ohms svc or dvc ? ...

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 391
Rovin- DVC like it says in the thread title and question.

Yea I talked to him about selling it but I don't think he liked the idea because theres nothing else he could find for his price range ~ $150 to $200. He also is considering buying a Fi SSD15 (800wrms) to be pushed by the ZX 750.1 in the future however I'm not sure it would make any difference besides being able to hit lower hz.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2879
I wouldn't run that amp at 1 ohm. They get very hot and very inefficient. Trust me I've tried it lol

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15738
just wanted to make sure ...

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 406
rd1000

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit