12" L7 or 15" CVX

Bronze Member
Username: Hialeah_fl

Post Number: 11
I want to put eighter two L7's 12" subs or 2 15" CVX
in my 2000 deville.

Which ones would you reccomend??

Which ones would sound better inside and outside?

I have been told to use a sealed box, since that car has a big, sealed trunk.

Also, The caddy has 2 sets of HID's, and a 600 watt amp for the factory bose system. The car comes with a 120 amp alternator.

They car has a red optima battery, and the system will have a yellow optima battery. Would I still have to change the alternator?

I can get 2 15" CVX new for $350 with the box. Is that good? also am I looking for 2 ohm or 4 ohm's?. Thanks.

Also what amp would you reccomend for under $400.00

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 3017
spl wise .. doubt ud hear a difference .. cvx will give you a better "sound" but sq is subjective .. if ur set on those woofers ... the cvx is a better all around woofer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Mike I am not actually set on eighter or, which ones would you have reccomended aside from these?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Sealed or ported?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10818
CVX is the better choice if you have to get kicker... but there is much better out there

Optima betteries are also really weak theres also much better batteries out there Odyssey, kenetik, stinger, etc.

For the amp an Audioque 2200d would fit that application great and is within your budget

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thank's M.S. Do you I am almost sure I will be getting the 15" CVX's do you reccomed sealed or ported for my car. It is a deville with a big enough mostly sealed trunk.

So, you dont reccomed the optima batteries?, are the ones mentioned actually cheaper? Thanks, J

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10823
Kicker subs usually do much better ported just make sure you get a custom box made for those subs... the worst thing you can do with any speaker is put it in a prefab box. Not to mention that nearly all ported prefab boxes are tuned wrong...

Optima batteries are - by comparasion - cheap for a reason, they're not very good. The better batteries usually do cost more.

And with an amp that big you will almost surely end up needing an HO alternator... you can try getting some real strong batteries but battery power only gets you so far.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15744
optima small yellow tops r good if u run a small system , their bigger yellow is decent too ...i used to run both with 0 problems

if u really into long playing or comp use then go either Odyssey, kenetik or powermaster which is what i switched my yellows to its much better ...

btw - u keep spelling either wrong ...

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3223
Can you see crabs? You know where

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3225

quote:

12" L7 or 15" CVX

In the end, you still end up with crap equipment IMO

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10827
Agreed but he seems to be stuck on kicker subs.

And I have to say there is nothing good about yellow tops except the deep cycle capability... they are very weak in power compared to the better batteries. Rovin you yourself just said you saw an improvement when you switched.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1874
Ported all the way!

If you must have kicker and it must be between the 12" l7 and 15" cvx i say l7 only because you will use less trunk space. Output will be similar in either case and sq will be hard to come by.

I would not recommend kicker though.

Fi car audio, Revolution design, dc audio, digital designs, audioque, and many others are much better quality products for the money.

If i were you id get 1 15" audioque hdc3, a 2000 watt amp, a custom built ported enclosure, do the big three and get a large dry cell for the rear and call it a day. You will be much happier and you will impress a lot more people with the single sub being very loud rather than two subs doing similar output not to mention you will still have lots of trunk space in that big deville and that would be a relatively cheap setup.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15746
yes the optima AH is kinda low

55 for the smaller 1 & 75 for the bigger model yellowtops

i had 1 small & 2 big = 185AH which was sufficient for my regular set

but when i started competing more in SPL i upgraded to 3) D3100 Xs PM which is = 330AH

my current is more stable now ...in fact i did a 152.2dbs with stock 80A alt ....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us