Fiberglass box builds... I think, please help

Bronze Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Penn State , Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 49
Okay, I wanna build a box similar to the one picutred in this link. I was once told that this is called Fiberglass boxes??? I don't know what the material is, but does anyone know of a forum where I can go to learn exactly how to build something so cool as this one???

http://memphiscaraudio.com/TMForce/images/Mardi_Gras/mardifo6_400.JPG

Thank you so much, I am really clueless on this one.

Bronze Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 22
That material is called fiberglass raisen. All you got to do is type in on your search engine and put in How to build a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure. But beware that isn't an easy job lots of work and lots of itching cause by the fiberglass.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 110
This link should help you out. Building a fiberglass box takes a lot of time and patience, you will find that out.

http://www.teamswift.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4568

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 224
Its also alot of mess, make sure you dont plan on getting it done all in 1-2 days its more like 2 weeks to get a good result.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 342
Actually, it's polyester resin, with fiberglass chop mat stuck within it for strength. They also make epoxy and vinyl resin, but polyester is the most common for speaker enclosures. That site Wahl listed tells you everything you need to know.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 229
Jonathan, I just wanted to know- since you deal with this stuff everyday, what is the cost of buying alot of the Polyester resin and catalyst stuff listed in that link? I have only built wood boxes and now i am looking for a change of pace.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 353
Define a lot. A gallon of Polyester Resin can be over 30 bucks by itself. MEKP (hardener) isn't that bad depending on how much you're getting, 8 oz should be enough, it's around 6 bucks. You shouldn't need a lot, it depends on the weather, though. If it's really hot it'll dry quicker. Fiberglass chop mat runs about 4 bucks per yard if you buy in bulk. Then get Bondo with hardener, 1 gallon of Bondo with hardener is around 20 bucks.
http://www.fibreglast.com
This site has everything needed except Bondo. I didn't include little details like aluminum foil, cheap brushes, duct tape, measuring cup, etc., but you should have some of it around the house. Also, GLOVES. Cheapest latex, vinyl, whatever you can find. It isn't the cheapest project in the world, or the cleanest, but the results are well worth it, both for the looks and the personal satisfaction. I plan on building a custom sub enclosure in my '69 Cougar sometime soon. Gonna paint it car color, I'm thinking of going with Black Cherry.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 354
By the way, if you're building just sub enclosures, depending on the size of them, the materials I listed should be more than enough unless you have trouble. Be patient, don't rush it the details of foil, tape, etc. since you've never fiberglassed before.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 230
Thanks, John, i figured it would be a bit pricy but i just wanted to see if it was for me, i still dont know yet!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us