.5ohm stable amps

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1861
i was jw what some .5ohm stable amps are. i need to get a new amp for my 9515 and it needs to be 2ohm or .5

i was jw some amps that are .5 stable and put out 2500-3000rms

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

3 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 771
Doesn't the kicker 2500.1 wire to 2 ohms?

Mmats makes a 0.5 ohm stable amp that'll do that.

What's your price range?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6979
i thought i heard sundown being able to do .5 ohm daily but i couldve read wrong.....dont take my word until someone says im right or wrong

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2598
they arent "stable" at .5 ohms but ppl run them at that ohm daily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1864
ya ive been heavely consitering a kicker 2500.1

i was jw some .5 stable amps though

ya i heard about sundown amps too. they used to be insured for .5ohm but to many people were blowing them from unsuficient charging systems so they are no longer .5 ohm stableinsured

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6980
and colby, yes the zx2500.1 is 2 ohm stable

Gold Member

Post Number: 1865
ya im pretty much leaning towards that at the moment. ie been consitering 2 of the new aq amps strapped or 2 nine.1's strapped...etc something strapped that makes 2ohm final independence.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4020
.5 ohm daily is tough....... there are amps that can do it but you're probably better off looking for a 2 ohm amp.......... like the Kicker ZX2500.1

You should get ~2800 watts from that amp which would be great for a 9515.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1056
2 ohms is way better than .5, so if you're getting a new amp(s), definitely get something that will do the power at 2 ohms.

Posted from GlassWolf's site, because it's buried in the amplifier fundamentals section:
------------------------------------------
Even though an amplifier may be rated for continuous use at 2 ohms, there are several reasons why this is not the best thing to do:

Paralleled speaker loads may be lower than you think: As stated before, the actual impedance varies and the minimum impedance may dip considerably below 2 ohms at certain frequencies. Lower impedance loads mean more losses and more heat dissipation in the amplifier (see next item).

Heat Considerations: Operating an amplifier with a low impedance load increases the heat dissipation of the amplifier (try it if you don't believe it!). This is because low impedance loads require more current, which taxes the amplifier's power supply more severely. More current means more losses(which translates to more heat). Excessive heat is unhealthy for electronic devices and should be avoided.

Increased Line Losses: As the speaker impedance is lowered, more of the audio signal is lost (in the form of heat) in the speaker cables! This can become significant if you run long cables. Speaker wires have resistance (the value depends on the thickness and length of the cable); if the speaker impedance becomes very low the resistance of the speaker wire may no longer be insignificant. To prevent this problem, the cross sectional area of the speaker cable conductor must double for each halving of speaker load impedance! In other words, running 2 ohm loads means using VERY heavy speaker cables.

Damping Factor degradation: Using super low impedance loads on an amplifier will degrade the system's damping factor (discussed in detail below). Degradation of damping factor means that the amplifier will have less "control" over the speaker system, possibly resulting in "boomy" bass response.

So, just because an amplifier has a super powerful 2 ohm rating, don't look for ways to wire up multiple speakers in order to "use" this power! Treat the 2 ohm rating as "headroom" and know that your amp has the ability to more easily handle the most difficult "normal" speaker loads that you are likely to ever encounter. If you need more power, get a second amp. Two medium powered amps are better than one monster (what if your one big amp dies? With two smaller amps at least you can still run!).
-------------------------------------------------

Gold Member

Post Number: 1867
doesnt the kicker zx2500.1 put out like 2600ish?

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1058
MS said ~2800.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4021
They vary, birthsheets are usually between 2700-3000......... last one I saw said 2960

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3066
MMats D3500.05
2700 Wrms @ 1/2 ohm

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Ohio

Post Number: 3886
IA40.1 better than all the amps mentioned will run .5ohm with ease, will cost close to $1000 unless you find a super deal. plus after impedance rise you'll be close to 1ohm anyway.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4022
Even with amps that can run at .5, they will draw a ton of current doing it. Efficiency usually goes way down.

IMO the Kicker ZX2500.1 would be your best bet

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12480
i agree with Marc....

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4071
SD 1500d are warrantied down to 0.35 ohm i believe

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3771
Try a DD M1, Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5795
Put that M1 on 16volts ^_^

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2612
dustin laid out ur best option in fact u can find two on ca.com right now for 750 each i think

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3069
That IA40.1 can also be strapped, Just throwing it out there. Nice call Dustin.

Bronze Member
Username: Tblazer74

South Salem, NY USA

Post Number: 66
I know there are some Zapco's that can I just can't remember which ones. It'll cost you too.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Ohio

Post Number: 3892
"Nice call Dustin."

i know i try.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us