I need a home audio reciever.

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 617
Alright so I'm lookin' for a reciever. I have $175 cdn. I'd like about 100w/channel but at least 70. 2 channels is fine. Sub preout is a must. 3.5mm aux input jack would be cool but I have a 3.5 mil to rca adapter. I'll buy off ebay if it's located in Canada, I'm sick of customs fees lol. the speakers I have are 6 ohm and if i could use those that would be good but I'm sure I can find some for cheap or for free if not.

here's a few I saw, let me know if it's junk or not.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/3762218&category=home-audio

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KENWOOD-AV-SURROUNDSYSTEM-600W-POWER-AMP-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ30 0144758471QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-HTR-5540-Home-Theatre-Receiver-Dolby-Pro-LogicII_W0QQi temZ270159162165QQihZ017QQcategoryZ14981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-PIONEER-SX-1500T-Receiver-BEAUTIFUL_W0QQitemZ15015424 6142QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3279QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2720
Out of those I would choose the Yamaha without question. But... since you say that a 2 channel receiver would be ok, I would buy a new one. Since everyone is buying surround sound models nowadays, you can get a brand new 2 channel for a very good price. Search for some home audio dealers in Canada and stick to the solid names like Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Harmon/Kardon, and Onkyo.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9614
New all the way. You'd be surprised what your money will buy you today.

Silver Member

Post Number: 618
thanks Brad. I'll have a look for some dealers then thankyou. btw, I'm gonna build some enclosures for my 5 1/4" components but I'm not sure how big they should be. I was thinking .15^3 - .25. Is that about right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 619
lol thanks to you to paul, you beat me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9616
I remember years ago receivers were high ticket items. $500-$1000 even. With time everything comes down.

The quality and features have drastically improved. My Technics will tell you if you have a short in your wiring and tell you where it is. That receiver is 6 years old and still runs great. I almost want it to fail so I can get a better model lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 621
lol. I remember for my buddie's 15th birthday party they rented the agricultural hall and we had a technics reciever. I set it up for him, duct taped all the wires down and some kid still managed to kick them and the wires popped out of the terminal and shorted. we tried unplugging it to reset it but still got nothin'. somebody went across the road and got this tiny jvc mini system so we still had music though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9619
No shit my first stereo was a Sears special. LXI series, 100w stereo with cd player. (They were new way back then.) Dual deck, phono, cd, what more could a teenager in the 80's want lol? Back then stereos were considered furniture. Rack systems were the rav.

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
that's dope. furniture lol. Just to clear it up, his 15th birthday was a few months ago and mine was April. I'm gonna try and get a record player sooner or later. First comes a BASH-500 and a pair of EHQS 12s though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9620
I had that same amp. Sold it to someone here. She powers nicely.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1949
i just picked up a Yamaha - RX-V657 for my dorm room and i love it. i got it for around 350 shipped US which might be a little more than u wanted to spend but if you go down one model it should be perfect.

5.1 and a 48" plasma in a dorm room thats 15 by 18 is heavenly. the girls kinda like it...:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
haha nice i'll look that up. yeah the bash is $250 on creative sound solutions and it's in canada so NO CUSTOMS lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9623
You'll love it.

And Jake, you dawg you lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
the rx-397 is $300 MSRP us. unless they have a really good sale at Atlas AVU I don't think I'm getting that lol. I think I'm just gonna go down there tomorrow and see what they got.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1950
haha paul you gotta do what you gotta do. get as many girls in the room as possible and see what happens.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9629
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us