My budget build enclosure ( For fun/practice not competition)

Bronze Member
Username: Bigharv

Post Number: 30
Ok I decided to order some cheap parts to mess around with until I save enough from working to get high end stuff. I finally got my subs and amp in. I've got 2 12" EHQS subs from Elemental Designs(50$) and I'm gonna be pushing them with a Pheonix Gold Xenon 600.1 Amp(180$).

This is a rough draw up of what the box is gonna be like, and i'll take a second to explain the visual so it doesnt look so confusing.
Upload

The image on top is a picture of the front view and the corresponding measurements. The port is 4" x 18" and is in the exact center of the box. The box measurements are 32" x 18" x 19" with a total volume of 5 cubic feet.

The bottom picture is a view from the top, which shows the port calculations for a 35 hz tuning. With a 4" x 18" port area the length needed was 23 inches. To accomodate a 23" port in my box i needed to angle it. It came out to 17 inches deep and 6 inches to both sides from the center to get 23" .

Now for the 3d model pictures.
(from the top)
Upload

The front.
Upload

and a skewed view
Upload

This is the final design of my box, ive begun cutting out the peices from 3/4" MDF but I dont have a lot of time during the week or a lot of the tools to do it quick so I wont get to work on it until Friday. I'll take some pictures during the process and post them up this weekend to see what you think.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1545
Looks like a nice box. Cant wait to see it built.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14025
gotta love the detailed descriptions. mad props big harv.

also that box looks like it is going to pound. hope you have as much wood working skills as sketchup skills. i'm sure you do.

Bronze Member
Username: Schinner

Post Number: 64
dang big harv... awesome pics and description

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
thanks guys, thats what happens when i get bored at work. Its gonna be a huge box but will fit in the back of my tahoe nicely. Probably gonna be painting it black, because I have no idea how to carpet. Also does anyone have suggestions for like weather stripping to seal around the cutouts for the subs and terminals? Something cheap and effective that I could get at a local hardware store.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 235
dont even use terminals, just run the wire straight thru the box FTW. better connection. seal it with some silicon

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
is running the wire without terminals really the best way to do it? Also, when I was cutting out the speaker holes it wasnt a very good circle but i think it should seal fine. What type of gasket should i use around the speaker to make it seal the best?

I'll post pictures of the box so far when I get home from work, I'm about half way done right now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us