Car audio batt as starting batt?

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1145
whats the advantage of using a car audio designed battery for your starting batt?? just curious really

Silver Member
Username: Reppinqc

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 403
what exactly is a car audio designed battery?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1147
sealed, low ressisstance, typically made by kinetik, odyssey, stinger, optima, etc

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4931
it will not make diference eczept the starting on the car audio battery sometimes will be slower than a tipycal starting battery.. but its not worth to put a 500 dollar battery in the trunk... regular starting batteries can push 1500 amps at 1 second or less thats why for starting its better those bateries alot more current for starting but then the amps start to go alot lower to the rated amps of the battery depending how much heat its under the hood

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2421
A "car audio battery" is usually sealed so it can be mounted inside the vehicle, and releases energy faster than a normal car battery.

Using one as a starting battery will make no difference compared to a regular battery.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1151
aight, gotcha. so ill be fine using a reg starting battery in the front, and isolating a good rear sealed batt

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2704
If your going to use a isolator you will loose some voltage. Not much. It'll be probaly .3-.6 volts if you used a battery isolator.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2424
Correct, the front battery makes absolutely no difference when using an isolator. That's what an isolator does, isolates the two electrical system from each other, and allow one alternator to power both.

Also what Berny said is true but it is negligible. There will still be enough voltage to charge both batteries. Just make sure your rear battery has a good ground. A bad ground will cause more voltage loss than an isolator.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2708
I "was" going to use a battery isolator but decided not to use one. Invest that money into a optima yellow top or so in the front and w/e batter you were going to get in the back. Batteries don't have to be the same make and model, just the same type.

Such as.
Wet cell and wetcell
drycell and drycell
regular acid and regular acid

Also, if you plan to play your music with your car off, then a battery isolator is usefull as well. But imo "I" would rather pay for that extra gas and play my music with my car on.

Save your $$, best thing to do when it comes to car audio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1157
so i have a regular starting battery in front and a sealed SVR in the back (in the mail) i really dont wanna isolate them. since i drive my vehicle each day would they really drain each other that bad ??

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2431
What's an SVR? I would bet that those batteries are not the same type though. In that case you should isolate them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1159
SVR is a newer brand of car audio battery. i know the logical thing would be to isolate them. but if my alty is charging them both up everyday will it really be a big problem in the short-term?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2435
If you drive the car everyday it will probably work. But who knows how much you may shorten the life of the batteries, that's why it's not recommended.

Silver Member
Username: Reppinqc

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 410
ya thats true ^^^^

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6208
Go read at bcae1.com on isolators.
Design it properly from the beginning and you'll get years of trouble free operation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1165
i did read that section on BCAE but money is an issue
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us