Flat wind

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1209
i dont understand why flatwound coils would make for better power handling, wouldnt the added surface area make em heat up more, just something my smart mind was thinking about

Silver Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 146
get 1 arrow you'll snap it like a twig, get 10 arrows together and try it now... more surface area referring to wires like 8 guage on a 2000+ watt amp will get HOT and melt... now try zero guage...

Username: Imperial_designs

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 5
nope... tomorrow i will attept to help you out and explain the pros/cons.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 6817
flat wind coil has more wire on the VC...and a greater surface area of coil.

it raises power handling, and raises the Qts a bit, but it also is susceptible to outgassing b/c the wires are so closely wound iirc. not sure of what else.....

Silver Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 158
way to go mud's ^^P !

Bronze Member

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 25
actually there is VERY similar surface area, its more in how the electromotive force is applied to the permant magnet field. a flat wound coils means less L too, becasue its not in a circule but more of a retangle/square more surface area means you have less windngs i nthe gap. its also heavier. increase in powerhandling and slight increase in eletromotive force from the coil. the result is a slightly lower Bl(which is the result of the rise in QTS) slightly higher MMS but a increase in power handling and electromotive force applied is "narrower" there are down falls. so its a more "cotrolled" electromotive force to help maximize BL in the gap, but out the gap BL falls off faster. some designs actualy do better with certian impedances and coil lengths which the affects are an advantage, others can hurt its proformance.

Bronze Member

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 26
repost-corrections

surface area with the same gauge wire is larger(flat VS round), but the circular wire will have more B/L using the same guage. so you increase the electromicmotive forces "spread" at the cost of increasing mass, and normally with the same wire a lower L. The advantage is the slightly improved surface area and the "L" field and its affect on its "b" field. still the surface area in some cases isn't needed but some designs DO advance from the flat wound wire. i perfer to using better cooling techniques.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 6881
the mass is the same, but the Surface area is greater. on Scott's coils that is...so it raises power handling a bit, and raises the Qts.

that is what Scott told me^^^ lol

but thanks for the Analysis Joel.:-) j/m with ya man!

Bronze Member

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 27
well like i said with some gap heights you do see an improvment. if mass is the same then windings has decreasd so L has decresed. its highly dependant on the application. im not saying there is no advantage or its not worth it. thats for you to understand and decied. I just want to provide the info. in an SPL designs i would give it the thumbs up. as B is quite easy to get theses days and topplates can be tooled to .001-.002 of an inch so getting the correct TP height to complement the wire is not a task ethier ;)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us