15s sealed or 12s ported.

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 196
Given the same subs which setup would give the best SQL? I have room for 4 cuft. Should I go two 12s ported at 4 cuft or two 15s sealed at 4 cuft?

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 431
Depends alot on the subs. I would say if its good subs i would do 2 12s ported to about 33-35hz.

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 197
The subs will either be sound splinter rl-ps or arsenals. So the 12's would sound better and reach higher spl.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 433
I'm not really sure. Depends a whole lot on the install. I know that ported usually gets higher SPL and sealed is for SQ. I would say 2 12s Ported would be good, but you may want to wait on a 2nd opinion, hopefully someone else will post too.

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 198
Thanks Jordan, what does everyone else think?

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 364
2 12s ported should do da job

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 1996
i had the same problem when decieding on what subs i wanted, and ultimitly the price made the final descion, but i would go with 15's sealed, i like the way sealed sounds over ported, and they be pretty close spl wise.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1262
i agree with dustin

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 213
Personally, i'd go with the two 12's ported.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 448
I still think that 2 12s ported will be louder and have more punch. 2 15s will play deeper and have more SQ.

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 365
see my thing is dat 4 cu. ft is like a pretty ideal size for a pair of 12s ported. Lets use da famous kicker cvr sub which we all know about. We all know that cvr's love 2 be ported. So y waste ur time, $$$, and space just to put 2 15s in a sealed box if ur goin 4 SQL. Im not sayin dat it cant happen cause their are many subs out dere dat perform well in sealed boxes but 2 12s ported would give u dat ground poundin bass and if tuned right it'll sound hella good. I aint tryna go against anyones opinion but i just wanted 2 state mines. But then again like Dustin and Jake were implyin, its pretty much a preference type thing.

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 1999
ya i agree its a matter of preference, some ppl like sealed others like ported, im sure that what ever size you get you will be very happy, the arsenal and rl-p are very nice sql subs.

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1407
IMO i'd go ported. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Darkale85

Averil park , Ny Renn

Post Number: 180
Hey ill tell you what i have 2 jl w0s in a dual slot ported box with a 250/1 and it hits pritty dang hard for them being sq subs so the ported 12's would be a good guess at least in my opinion

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 199
The thing is, the rl-ps are best in a ported box and the arsenals are more for sealed boxes. Anyone have two 15's sealed?

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 244
you have enough room to do 1 ported 15 ... another option..

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 621
port the 12s at 28hz itll sound great

Username: Accordstereo1992

Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 1
15's would give u a hard hitting bass inside your car with a sealed box, if you have a ported box, it will give you a loud bass outside the car, still gonna be loud inside..come on it's 15's

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 622
what r u talking about? ^^

Bronze Member
Username: Bassiloveu

Post Number: 46
lol no sh!t, jamie elliott ^^^^ newb

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2000
"Anyone have two 15's sealed?"
Ya i do, 2 15inch AA atlas's and they are awsome, the best sq sub i've heard, great lows and kick bass is awsome, feels like some1 punching you in the chest.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 450
My 2 15" SSIs are sealed right now just b/c i dint have room for the big ported box anymore and had to go smaller for a while. They get alot louder and sound alot better ported. Im still saying go ported.

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 200
Dustin, do you think if you had two 12" atlas's ported that it would "punch you in the chest" as hard." That is what I am looking for. I listen mostly to metal and sometimes techno/dance music. Anyone had two 12" ported subs and then two 15s sealed. Whats the difference in sound?

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 201
bump..

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4312
paul seeing your music preference, a sealed would be a better choice for you. a sealed 15 can get really loud. also ported box tends to have a harder time to keep up with the fast techno music beat than the sealed box.

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2007
Paul- sorry it took me so long to reply, my computer is all fucked up, for your question im not sure, i listen to a lot of punk rock, which has a lot of bass gutair and kick bass and these subs keep up very well, and i used to have 2 12's ported but they were kicker comps, and they had no where near as much sq as my 15's do, but the comp isn't in the same league as the atlas so its not a fair comparison, but i know a lot of ppl who have ported subs and there all the same at low volumes they keep up but at high volumes they can't "keep up" with the kick bass, it all gets blended together, thats why i prefer sealed. hope that helped.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us