Sub for amp with constant RMS output at different impedences

Bronze Member
Username: Nanbakat

Mexico CityMexico

Post Number: 22
This is a theoretical question but I was thinking about this the other day...

The new PDX 1000 amp from Alpine can produce 1000W at either 2 ohms or 4 ohms. If the output is constant at different impedences, should someone buy a single 1000W sub for a 2 ohm load or a 4 ohm load?

(I'm thinking about voice-coil configurations...)

Is there an advantage?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 831
4 ohm load would be ideal. Will run cooler, and sound better. (Sound better is in theory...most people cannot tell the tiny bit of difference in SQ when it comes to the difference impedance plays)

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 613
That is only the case if the amp actually saw the 4 ohm load, it won't. It is like the PG Xenon 1200.1, same power into 1-4 ohm, it is called Xe Load, the amp sees the lowest load of 1ohm all the time. Polo..

PS-It doesn't matter! :-)

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2116
just pick one :-) I=E/R

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4748
I just wanted to throw my two cents in also...Polo is right by the way......Now back to the question I think buying the two ohm subwoofer would benefit more over the 4 ohm configuration because of box rise being at 2 ohms to start would give you a 2 ohm advantage against box rise at any given frequency and this means more power delivered to your subwoofer hence greater spl potential

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11442
I'd go with the 4 ohm load because the internal resistance will be better for the amp, and if you add another sub later you can still stay within the spec range of operation for the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4752
Glasswolf...I'd go with the 4 ohm load because the internal resistance will be better for the amp, and if you add another sub later you can still stay within the spec range of operation for the amp.

Me....I just wanted to throw my two cents in also...Polo is right by the way......Now back to the question I think buying the two ohm subwoofer would benefit more over the 4 ohm configuration because of box rise being at 2 ohms to start would give you a 2 ohm advantage against box rise at any given frequency and this means more power delivered to your subwoofer hence greater spl potential

A) Both are good concepts just depends on what you feel is the greater benefit...I tend to lean more on the amplifier being reliable and able to stand up to any demands between 1 to 4 ohms....a second 2 ohm subwoofer could still be wired to a 1 ohm load if they were a pair ....again giving you even more room for box rise at any given frequency

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 625
AGAIN in this instance, it doesn't matter! Maybe with another amp but because he asking about this particular amp, not going to make any difference... Polo. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us