Quick Advice On X.X.X PLease & Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Swantlaphoenix

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 119
So Im running a 12" x.x.x. with a Ed Nine.1. This is my first system and I had a box made, its sealed around 2.3 cubic feet. Now it hits and is pretty good but Im wondering HOW BIG of a difference it would be to get a ported box made for $150. As people used to tell me it seams like Im choking the subwoofer making it sealed. My friend just got two nasty sony explodes 12" in a ported box and I was amazed thats what 400 watts did. Probably because it was ported? If I do go ported Ill only have about 2.6 cu ft. But anyways just wanted some input on sealed vs ported.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1547
a great deal of difference. particularly with only one sub.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1463
ur not easy to please.lol

Advantages: of sealed
Easy to build, smaller enclosure size, lean tight sounding bass, better power handling vs. ported design and Linear low bass extension.

Disadvantage:
Less efficient as compared to ported design.

Advantages: Ported
More output at the tuning frequency as compared to the same woofer in a sealed enclosure, higher efficiency.

Disadvantage:
Larger enclosure size, Calculating enclosure and port dimensions more difficult,easy to blow woofer if power handling limit is exceeded.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1464
and one more thing about ported. The box itself acts as an amplifier, yielding to more bass than a sealed enclosure (3 to 4 dB). Ported boxes do not have a linear frequency response. If the box is not built according to specifications, it will not sound good. The box design acts as a filter, cutting off lower frequencies.

Silver Member
Username: Swantlaphoenix

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 121
Hmm Thanks A Lot Guys. Ported Ill Be Going
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us