5/8" MDF & 3/4" MDF

Justin Gros
Unregistered guest
would there be a noticalbe difference in using 5/8" MDF instead of 3/4" MDF?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1578
with thinner made boxes u tend to lose alot of 'energy' through box flexing/vibrating . If its smaller lower rms subs u can get away with it .

Me personally i use 3/4 but since 1" has just now become available in my are -thats what i intend to use from now on . Stiffer the box the better ....

Justin Gros
Unregistered guest
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 311
Rovin,

RMS ratings of a woofer have NOTHING to do with what size MDF to use. Do you think an Atlas 15" would be fine in a 5/8" MDF enclosure? Do a little more reading before you post answers that are misleading.

Bronze Member
Username: Mattc6465

Post Number: 33
well the more powerfull the woofer the harder it will hit which means a stiffer box would be better. why dont you think before you post. and its not misleading.

Bronze Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 79
lol Dave I would ENCOURAGE you to read www.bcae1.com and www.the12volt.com before you post anything else.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 576
haha!!
Its good to know what your talking about

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
matthew,

Actually it is misleading. Power handling has nothing to do with how hard a subwoofer will "hit". It is a thermal rating and that is ALL it is.

Juian,

With 79 posts (none of which were intelligent), you seem to know a lot. The ignorance of some people on this forum amazes me.

ranger212's
Unregistered guest
ill put in my 2 cents....lol if your building a box its a good idea to use construction adhesive to put it together....less rattles

Bronze Member
Username: Mattc6465

Post Number: 34
what i meant to say Dave is that stronger subs will make more vibrations which would mean that a stronger, sturdier box would hold up better.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1603
Sometimes i don't know why ppl want to argue about stuff - Dave can believe or do as he pleases & the rest of us will each do our own thing cause the rest of the guys fully understand what i meant ....Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
"Sometimes i don't know why ppl want to argue about stuff - Dave can believe or do as he pleases & the rest of us will each do our own thing cause the rest of the guys fully understand what i meant ...."

Like I said. What you said was wrong, and misleading. High RMS ratings to not make a sub more "powerful". The only people that will fully understand what u said are the ones that have don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. I wasn't really trying to argue. I'm just tired of reading posts like this as they seem to be of abundance on this forum.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1607
"I wasn't really trying to argue" - me too !

But it seems like u want to tell us all that whether its a 50wrms or 500wrms sub u can use the same 5/8 mdf & it'll be fine & that it does not matter ??????

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1608
& i do not mean a 50w DD against a Pyramid 500w for example , not that DD makes a 50w sub .

I meant of the same any good brand ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
I was simply saying that power handling has nothing to do with how thick your enclosure should be.. I personally would never use 5/8" MDF for any application. I'd rather use 3/4" Particle Board for smaller subs as it's cheaper and works just as good as MDF.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2552
actually, i have never heard a 300wRMS sub that hit louder than a 1000wRMS sub. it may be just a thermal rating, but it has a lot to do with the subs performance.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2553
wow...i haven't been on in a few days since i read this thread. lol

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 136
Well Rovin wasnt saying "the thicker the bored, the more power your sub can handle, he was just saying the more flex in your enclosure the less you hear. Some of the energy is absorbed through the flexing of the enclosure. But anyways, like muddywaters, were clearing things up.....after everyone has killed each other 3 days later.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 730
The greater the internal pressure created by the speaker, the more important rigidity of the materials becomes. This is what everyone is trying to say I believe. Generally, feeding a sub lots of power will cause this to happen. There are tons of factors though. Sealed vs. ported, excursion, surface area of the cone, etc. will all influence the pressure in the box. I generally use .75" MDF for ~500ish Watts or less, and 1" for above that, or ported SPL boxes even if the sub is getting less than 500 RMS. And of course, they're all very well braced.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us