Best 10" SQ single sub for a sealed box?

Username: Fordfanatic

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 2
Hi There!

I'm a proud owner of a 2005 ford explorer sport trac. Due to the design of the truck, it doesn't leave a lot of room for a sub, but I found a custom built sealed enclosure for the truck. I can install a single 10" driver.

I'm currently using a low end RF 10" driver powered by a 2 channel RF 201S amp bridged to mono (200 W @ 4 ohms).

I'm into SQ and I listen to everything from AC/DC and Zeppelin through to acoustic Neil Young and James Taylor. No hip-hop other than a bit of Kid Rock. I'm willing to upgrade both the sub and the amp and am seeking advice on both

Thanks
Rob

Current config

Kenwood KDC MP828 receiver
Memphis Mclass componente and coaxes
Memphis ST-3004 4 channel amp
RF 201S channel amp bridged
Single 10" RF Punch amp in sealed enclosure

Bronze Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 50
Well how much space does the box you have now hold?What is the mounting depth of the box?How much are you looking to spend?

Username: Fordfanatic

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 3
.5 cubic feet - sealed box
mounting depth = 5.5"
I'm willing to spend up to about $800-900 for sub and amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
well with such a small space and mounting depth you are sorta screwed on any top end stuff.The infinity kappa is out because of the mounting depth but the reference will fit, but not sure on how good the sq is. The jl is out except for the 10w1v2 which doesnt seem like it would be any good.Now from MTX the thunder 4500 would fit and the Road Thunder will but sq most likely isnt good on them. Fosgate P1's will fit. If you can enlarge the mounting depth then you would be able to have a better selection.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 879
i have the 10" Infinity Reference sub. The 1030 model. I sounds very good in a small sealed box in my opinion. Havn't tried that small but I'm sure it would still sound decent.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4644
"The jl is out except for the 10w1v2 which doesnt seem like it would be any good."
Actually, it's a very good sub for the money spent. Not a high output sub, but great SQ.

With your dimensions, check out the Adire Audio Koda and the Image Dynamics IDQ ( which would be my choice under your conditions).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
What are you talking about the specs on the 10w1v2 is crap, the watts are crap, and if we are talking about price it has to be the cheapest sub jl makes. Now if you want to talk about major sq you need to check out the kappa perfect.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4649
"What are you talking about the specs on the 10w1v2 is crap, the watts are crap, and if we are talking about price it has to be the cheapest sub jl makes. Now if you want to talk about major sq you need to check out the kappa perfect."

Which "specs" are you looking at? X-max? A misleading specification at best, since companies use the coil length/gap height ratio to determine the x-max, giving no clue how the sub will perform at a given excursion level. The sub has solid construction, excellent sound quality, and was designed with their own proprietary DMA modeling to give a solid BL curve and good analysis on how the subwoofer will perform when at and near it's limits. If you want to buy some 1000 Watt!!! Audiobahn subs for the same price, go right ahead. Power handling isn't everything. That 150W may not impress you, but the subwoofer is efficient enough that it will perform comparably to subs in the price range with twice that wattage *cough* Infinity Perfects *cough*. Remember the longer you make voice coils, the heavier you make them in order to handle more thermal power, the more gap you leave to aid cooling, the more power will be required to overcome the added mass of such parts, and the stronger the motor will have to be to compensate for the BL loss from it as well. Yes, it is the cheapest sub JL makes, aside from the W0 which will be eventually phased out. That doesn't make it a crappy sub. JLs build quality is solid across the board, and all offer excellent sound quality. The difference between the ranks is the performance, mainly SQL. JL didn't cheap out on the essentials, instead they choose to make their budget subwoofers more inclined to someone that needs more for their money, meaning working well on low power levels and in reasonable enclosure sizes. It's one of the many things they specialized in during the 80s and early 90s, when power wasn't cheap.

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 28
How bout the 10" IDQ from Image Dynamics? .30 to .60 cuft sealed enclosure is what they recommend... and 5.25" mounting depth. Should fit.

I've heard good things about the SQ of those subs.. in fact I'm planning a single 12" for my trunk soon.

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 29
In fact, cardomain.com has some factory renewed IDQ 10's for $104.95.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 613
for $800-$900 for sub and amp...get a 10" ID MAX...and a crossfire vr1000d.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us