No visible damage to sub... but no worky... is it blown?

Bronze Member
Username: Shocksyde

Post Number: 31
Hello,

Thought it was my amp the whole time but it appears my sub is the problem.

I have used a 1.5 volt battery and attached it to the neg/pos of my sub and i get no movement or "pop"

i didnt have a 9 volt battery available

There is absolutely no visible damage to the sub and the cone moves evenly in and out as it should

is there a better way to test if it's blown? i dont have another sub to attach to my amp to check

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3179
I really doubt 1.5 volts is enough to move the sub. I have put two together and moved subs a littlw with 3 volts, but it still isn't much at all. You really need to try a 9 volt first before you trash the sub.

"is there a better way to test if it's blown? i dont have another sub to attach to my amp to check"

Why do you need another sub to test the first one on the amp? You don't have to have 2 subs running to an amp, if it's a 2 channel. You can leave one channel open.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
well i meant use another sub on the amp to see if that sub works

that way i know the one i currently have is no good

i still cant find a 9 volt battery and dont feel like going to get one, but i attached 4 1.5 AA batteries together (6 volts total) and still got nothing from either voice coil.

i also have a multimeter and i get no reading when i test for Ohm resistance.

Shouldn't I get a reading of 4 ohms from each voice coil if it's a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub?

what the hell could be wrong with it? a simple wire came unattached somewhere inside? should i try to open it up and check? couldnt hurt i guess, seeing as how it doesnt work anyways...

GumboShrimp
Unregistered guest
You should get a reading off each coil if it showing nothing at all its burnt.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3189
Just check and see if there is a full curcuit through each coil. If 6 volts didn't make it move, then something may be wrong with it. Check the tinsel leads first, and make sure everything is still attached. It really sounds like a tinsel lead broke off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
i've looked at it from every angle possible and i see no hanging/broken/burnt parts

NIGGA ROACH!
Unregistered guest
IF YOU PUSH IN YOUR SUB FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE CONE, IT SHOULD NOT MAKE A SCRAPING NOISE(SCRAPING IS OF THE VOICE COIL TOUCHING THE MAGNET), IF YOU HEAR ONE, THOUGH, YOU A HAVE A BLOWN SUB.

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 103
your checking from the terminals on the sub itself or throughthe wires coming out of the box?

Once i thought My amp was blown right after buying a new one, turns out it was just more powerful than my last one and vibrated the terminals on the inside the Box off the Woofer itself lol.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1438
1.5 volts is plenty to move the cone. I use 1.5v flashlight batteries to check for polarity on all my speakers. If the cone's not moving and you measure an open circuit at the sub's terminals with a multimeter you've got a broken voice coil or lead. Most likely the sub is done.

If its a dvc sub check each coil individually. I'd say the chances of both being blown to be pretty slim.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3222
Really? I've used a two together, and just barely moved a sub with 3 volts. I wasn't sure if 1.5 volts would make it move, I've never really tried it.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1443
Doesn't move much, but enough to tell whether its moving in or out.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us