Question on Subs/Box/amp combo

Username: Seth1987

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to car audio and I have 1300$ I'm looking to spend on it, I already have a head unit and surround speakers, I just need recommendations on the best sub/amp/box combo I can get for the money where it will hit really really hard :P, and what is it that makes you be heard from far away if no one minds answering that question also, thanks for the help guys, I'm really apperciating it

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 2
I'd also like opinions on sub size also, thanks

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 3
Sorry, forgot to say, im looking for 2 subs seeing as i have a 95 grand am, wouldnt be room for more, and kind of need an explanation on the difference between spl and sq

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 76
well i cant really give you suggestions on subs or amps... but i do know spl is sound pressure level (loudness) and sq is sound quality.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 188
Here would be my suggestion. 2 of these http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=279&1=285&3=1614 Eclipse 12" titanium's. If you want some SQ go sealed. They will pound tight and accurate in a sealed enclosure. If you would rather sacrafice a little quality and response go ported to gain a couple extra DB's. My reccomendation is sealed because they will be loud already... As for an amp I would look at something like this... An alpine MRD-M1005 as shown here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IVZAy6Vy31t/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&I=500MRDM105. That will put you just over $1300 dollars, my reccomendation is shop around but I just wanted to show you the specs etc. Good luck!

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 4
Yeah, I'm MAINLY concerned about SPL but I'd like decent SQ as well, And my LIMIT is 1300$ :-(, someone recommended OV.2's and nine.1 amps, but I'm not trying to be a jerk about it just saying, but I am just upgrading from 2 audiobahn 400w rms subs and really want my moneys worth this time around, I want something that will POUND, and something alot better than those audiobahns lol, and can't be over 1300$ at all :/

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 194
you can get the stuff I reccomended under $1150 probably..

Bronze Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 94
check ebay for that stuff you should get it at a descent price and look for either a warrenty offered with a specific product or a authorized dealer

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 6
Everyone's telling me to get the eD 16OV.2's for my price range because compared to my audiobahn and for the price I will supposedly be blown away with the SPL AND Sq they have paired with a nine.1 amp and custom ported box built by eD

Bronze Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 51
http://www.electronicgiant.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_49_141&products _id=1127
eclipses for 320

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 7
So eclipse's blow ov.2's out of the water or what? and also, what type of amp and how many would I need to run them the best? because this 1300$ has to go on 2 subs a, box, an amp and a more powerful car battery to run em with :P so if those would cost 1200+$ for the amp/subs/box I would need to probably get the ov.2's?

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 52
IMO yes they do especially in spl (ive never heard the ov2s so i cant comment about them). u can get the ov.2s if you don't have enough money. I would get the ednine.1 for 350 and, if you can make the box yourself, you can save alot more money.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 565
Seth get 1 15 inch resonant engineering XXX for www.reaudio.com and get a hifonics brutus 1500D from www.woofersetc.com ...less than 1300 bux

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 54
mmmmmmmmmmmmm XXX

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 8
I can't find the prices on those renosant's and are XXX really that much more ownage than the ov.2's? :D I'm sorry to be naggy or whatever and so picky, but I just want everything to be the best I can get for what I have, I really really want a good system for my price range and would like to have a little left over for wires/a battery/ POSSIBLY A HU not sure if mine's good enough and maybe some component speakers cuz mine are stock, also my HU is a clarion 50wx4 dunno exact specs on it though, but sorry again guys, but I think you know how it is when you want something to work out really bad and want it to be perfect. thanks for all the help again, I really do apperciate it

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 9
The reason I'm asking so much is because alot of people tell me ov.2's and alot say stuff about eclipse, Which I more than likely can NOT afford right now because of having to buy a new battery/wiring kit/etc...And I kinda like having dual subs....it's just the way they sound in my car I suppose, but if anyone can recommend 2 12's/15's I can get for around or a little more than the price of ov.2's I would apperciate it, I'm more of an SPL freak like I said earlier but I just want a nice dual 12" or 15" setup that would cost say 1000$ for just the amp/subs because the other 3....yeah box/battery/wires

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 55
2 atlas for $100 if their not sold out. www.ascendantaudio.com

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 51
MMM, a new battery... Just so you know, a new battery might not help you as much as you think. If you're going to be running enough power to have people tell you to think about getting another battery, a high output alternator would help you a lot more, and you could probably stick to the same battery as you have. Although that's more money, it will actually help. You could have 100 batteries, but if you don't have anything to power them, they won't help you at all.

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 10
Yeah I know, My alt is good enough to power a nine.1 but my battery is a crappy like 10volt or something lmao...so yeah I just need to upgrade that for now until im running say....2-4 nine.1's :-), which will happen, grand am's gonna have 6-8 12's in it, but I have a question....are 16Ov.2's alot better than audiobahns? cuz I'm considering the 16ov.2's

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 139
from what i have learned on this forum, just about anything is better than audiobahn.. atleast anything they have mentioned. me, i have a re XXX12 and a nine.1, and that thing is (credit to whoever said this first) a BEAST! i couldn't even imagine what a 15 would be like.. jeeezus. and even at that, my box isnt even to specs! im having someone build me a box with the RIGHT specs, and its still a beast! lol

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 52
Yeah, basically everyone ends up recommending to stay from audiobahn in some way or another.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 53
Personally, I'm a fan of Image Dynamics. Didn't have quite the budget you have, so I stuck with the IDQ's and am very happy with them. If I had had more money to throw around I would have went with the IDMax's... I've honestly never heard anyone who knew Image Dynamics to talk bad about them. They were recommended to me by this forum, so I don't think you'd be unhappy with some IDMax's.

Bronze Member

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 11
Ok guys, I'd like a simple comparison then, of 16Ov.2's-IDMax and xxx, I would prefer to be able to get 2 12"'s or 15's and I'm mainly concerned in spl, I just don't know why noone likes 16ov.2's? I mean from what I've read on the site they are nice, but seems like they are more SQ oriented, So between IDmax and xxx, which could I afford 2 12's or 15's of? Thanks again

Bronze Member

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 12
Sorry gotta make an edit, The reason being, I'll need a little of that 1300$ left to buy a new car battery/wiring kit/box simply because I don't have the tools,materials or know-how to make my own box to the right specifications.

Bronze Member

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 14
What about beyond audio inhumans? are those any good compared to the xxx?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 323
How about a pair of Soundsplinter RL-p's (12's or 15's, depending on space), ED NINe.1, Optima yellowtop, KnuKonceptz wiring and I'll design a box for you. All together comes out to about $1100US or so. As for tools, you can build a box with as little as a jigsaw and drill.

Bronze Member

Tupelo, Mississippi Usa

Post Number: 15
That doesn't sound too bad except I don't know anything about soundsplinter, all everyone's been telling me to get is xxx lol

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1549
I whould go with the Avalanche 15 sealed at 1.5 cubic ft. and power it with a Crossfire VR1000D and you will really have a great SQL system. Great spl and good sq all around and youll have money left over for a headunit and wires..

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 80
Yeah, all ascendant audio subs have excellent products for the price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us