Any suggestions? Is there any way to...

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 29
Is there any way to reduce the volume of a sealed enclosure without having to basically build a new one?

I have a sealed box for 2 10's that is about .65cf, the specs for my subs recommend between .35 and .7, so im pretty close to the high end, where i'd rather be in the mid to low end.

Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 345
Is there any particular reason why you want to be towards the smaller end? Id say where you are right now is pretty good. The smaller you go the more tighter it is gonna sound and have less power handeling. But the larger it is you will have more output from the subs.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 32
I used to have JL W0's and they were in a pretty big box, and sounded alright. The box specs for that sub recommended are .5 to 1.0cf. I made this box that is .65ish cf, and it sounded very good, and had so much more sq than before.

I just really liked the sound of those subs on the smaller end of recommended, so I thought I might like this one on the smaller end of recommended as well.

I haven't got them yet, but I just ordered 2 IDQ10D4V.2's and have a Rockford Fosgate 501S amp (500W x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged).

What do you think would sound the best?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 346
I made a mistake on my last post. The smaller you go the more power handeling it will have.

I would say that you should give the enclosure a try, I don't think it will sound too bad. If you find that it doesn't sound as tight as your old JL's were, try filling you sub box with polyfill. That will make you have better SQ and possibly get louder.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2315
Polyfill makes you're sub think the box is bigger than what it really is. The only way to make you're box smaller, is put something in side it.
I asked the same question once, and someone told me to git 2 books... and make sure they're the same size. Then when you've found what works... glue the books to the box, so they don't slide around in the chamber.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 33
Alright, thanks for your help guys.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3526
If I'm not mistaken i think I told you that taylor a long time ago lol! just measure the dimensions of the book and get the sq/ft and subtract it from what you have in the box to get a good idea of how much space you have.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2323
Lol yeah... it prob was!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us