Experts/knowledgeable ppl, especially sean. box for ava

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 423
okay sean i know your really busy but i was just wondering if u could give me a little input. and james i think u had the avalanche right? so i could use some opinion form you and jonathan is always welcome to speak lol... any other people that know what they are tlaking about feel free to help out i would appreciate it sooo much!

okay heres the deal. im going to run a 15inch avalanche off of a JL1000/1. that about 1100 watts of continuous pure clean power. i am going to run this in a portted box which allows th sub to handle more power correct? now i know in a sealed enclosure a bigger box lowers the power it can handle. is this the same for ported? i can make a quite enormous box. i have about 10-12 cuft i can use. however i was thinking no more than 8 would be nice. the box (exterior) can be no wider than 48 inches no taller than 21 inches and no deeper than 24 inches.... however i might sacrifice a little in depth because it may be crucial. now. i was thinking 24 Hz.... that sounds like a good port tune correct? i have used 2 sites to help me out.
http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/l-ported-box.htm
and
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31
ive punched in all diferent things wondering what i should do. first is first. what volume should i go with. and please specify if its exterior(including mdf) or not including mdf. which one of those is net volume? remember its going to have 1100 watts. next if you could help me out with the height and wide and then i;ll allow the program to find the depth and the port length etc. if u can design in ur head the perfect specifications that could always help too. oh and also i am going to use 2 .75 inch boards together for a 1.5 inch baffel and .75 mdf for the sides/top/bottom/ port walls. im looking to get the most out of this sub without making it easy to blow. incase ur wondering its going in an escalade. the headunit is an eclipse av8533. im also using an eclipse 21010 EQ as well. if you need to know anything else let me know.

and sean if you get the hang of ABC boxes id LOVE to have one built. just let me knwo if you ever get the hang of it.

thanks a lot for the help guys!

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 424
oh and what port width should i go with? so far ive come to either a 2.5 inch width or a 3.75 inch width....

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 432
any1?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3970
trevor, if you want ill design you an 8 cubic foot box within your specs tuned to 24 hrtz port sloted if you want, also with the abc box sean has explained as much as he can to me and were realyl grasping it, hopefully we will have it totally done soon, but if you want the 8 cubic foot box tuned to 24 hrtz ill do it for you right now if you want on paint

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3971
OH and why arenty i welcome!!! huh huh? lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4017
One problem with that, Trevor, is that sub is pretty biased to a sealed box. The suspension of that sub leads it to need a very low tune and a fairly good sized box, nowhere near 8 cu ft, though. I'd go around 4 cu ft net tuned to 20 hz for a nice flat response. Port size will be dependant on how much space you can add, Digital Designs has a good default of port area, which is 16 inches of port area per cu ft of box volume, in your case that would be 64 sq in of crossarea. That could be an 8x8 sq port, a 16x4 sq port, and so forth. You'll get clean sound, but it'll mean a LONG port, pretty close to 100 inches long to be frank (that's NOT exact, don't use that, just giving you an estimate to see what you could accomodate). Remember that ports can be winding, meaning they can snake around the box. Since the tune is so low, you really don't need that much port area, but it's a deal where bigger is better, it never hurts and it keeps port velocity low, making port noise minimal and assuring clean, near uncolored sound. You could probably go with a 12x3 or 12x4 port and still be just fine, and cut the port length down in the process.

www.bcae1.com has a great calculator.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 435
sub ur wlecome i said any1 that knows what they are talking about... but u dont match up to jonathan sry lol... but jonathan... i wanted a slot port so whatever the height of the box is, the height of the port would be 1.5 inches less. i was thinking maybe 18 inches high. so 16.5 inch port height. and what do you think i should mke the width of the box? and one question jonathan. why do you suggest 20Hz instead of 24 Hz?... and what will this sound like when lets say a 50 hz tone is put to it?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3990
yea ur right, glass/jon/isaac/sean/james/joe/hunter/mixneffect/fishy, and im sure im forgetting alot of people, i will never be able to stand up to there knowledge

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 437
well ur only....17 right? many years to learn.... u seem to be really into it... i;ll prolly never even know as much as you do now cuz once its done im prolly just going to focus on my engine, school, college, gradschool etc. so dont feel bad lol

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3993
haha, im giong to put my life into this

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 440
sending to the top...

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2440
sub thanks buddy you over state my expertse but im continually in a quest for greater knowledge and understanding and have grown alot from reading over the last few years as well from being part of helping design enclosures for friends around here and helping people on this forum like you ....I also cover this stuff in prayer with God and he is definately giving me some insites but as always things are according to his will and in his timing....Sub you also are very knowledgable ...more than you give yourself credit

thanks

sean

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1610
well guys im almost done with my box for my 15. i tuned it to 26. but i still have a pretty good size port. it is 5in port. im not done yet, i need to finish the fine tuning(no sub yet). and also im doin alot of raised carpet custom work, if you want trev, i can send you the design

Gold Member

Post Number: 2441
im gonna run the avallanch now for yea trevor ill tell you what i come up with ok

Gold Member

Post Number: 2442
do like 6.00 cf before the sub and drop it in and port it to 20 hz with two 4 inch ports 25.25 inches long youll be ok port wise up to 800 watts rms concering port noise according to winisd (.15)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2443
i messed up brb

Gold Member

Post Number: 2444
ok 6.00 cf internal drop the sub in with two 4 inch pvs ports 26 inches long tuned to 20 hz 800 rms .15 winisd

Gold Member

Post Number: 2445
lol pvc not pvs

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 442
thanks sean but im going to do slot ports. i dont want to deal with PVC, and im running 1100 watts to it from a JL 1000/1

Gold Member

Post Number: 2467
ok
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us