Bass Shakers?? I wouldn't beleive had I not felt it myself

allende5
Unregistered guest
Sorry for this extra long post!

I did a google search a couple of weeks ago on Mazda Miata's and keywords like "amp" and "sub" to help get good design ideas for making my system look nice. Instead, what I found was a posting of another guy with a Miata who was frustrated with losing bass response when driving on the highway at 80 with the top down.

He found something called "Bass Shakers". This might already be familiar with some people here, but I had never heard of them. At first, I thought it was a joke, then when I realized it was real, I thought it was completely lame. The guy on the posting swore by them, so I checked out their site. http://www.aurasound.com. To paraphrase the maker of Bass Shakers, low frequency sound is mostly "felt" rather than "heard". After awhile, I became curious and figured for roughly $50 on ebay +shipping, I'd give it a try.

The bass shakers for cars (they make them for Home Theater too), are 4ohm and handle 50w RMS per unit. Just like speakers, they're sold in pairs. Mine arrived on Wednesday. I hooked them up with my Audiobahn A2002T (50w RMS @ 4ohm) and was on my way. However, before I tell what I thought of them, let me note that I'm running a single 10" type-x w/ 800w RMS (Audiobahn A8000T - not relly 800w, but close). So, for a Miata, it hits pretty good.

So what can this device running off only 50w RMS offer?

I asked the same thing. Then I turned it on and turned it up...

Holy crap! No seriously...holy crap! I heard (no felt...or heard...I'm not sure...heard/felt...) deep, tight, clean and clear hard hitting bass! I absolutely could not beleive the effect these things had. It literally feels like I'm running two type-x's with twice the power! It was hitting HARD!

I'm running the "shakers" off of the sub output on my EQ (crossed over at 90Hz), and my actual sub is running off my x-over w/ remote gain control (crossed over at about 65Hz). So, I have two seperate gain controls for each output at my fingertips, which makes it kind of cool. What's truly amazing is the illusion that you are hearing this deep rumbling bass simply by feeling it. Don't get me wrong, it does not and can not replace a sub-woofer. In a small setup like mine it only enhances it. It enhances it so much, that I'm able to actually lower the gain on the real sub. Before, I would often find myself pushing the gain to the point just south of distortion. Now, I only need to hear it. I think I'm done with my system now. It's a truly amazing affect.

Bronze Member
Username: Doug_w

Post Number: 48
So wait do you run them with your subs or in place of your subs?

allende5
Unregistered guest
Definately with. They work in conjunction with your subs. It generates punches and rumbles off of the low frequency output from 100Hz and lower. It seems really lame, but by hearing it and feeling it even more, it makes a HUGE difference. Mind you, I have a small car...a guy in an SUV running 4 12" subs, won't need it...although, I'm sure it will still make a difference. You place the device either under or directly in back of your seat (where I have it). It's relatively small, so you would think that you would be able to feel the rumbles in a centralized location. However, it resonates over the entire area of where you put it. It feels just as if you have two twelves right behind your seat.

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 135
I checked them out and you have to mount them under the back seats for optimal usage, if you have them just in the back put them under the backseats and I bet its 100x better, plus if u wanna give a girl a @rgasm just have her sit in the back lol, did you hook them up to a amp or just the HU power?

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
its 63 bucks shipped on ebay so I ordered them also to give them a try :-)

allende5
Unregistered guest
With an amp (a cheap Audiobahn 2002T). When I was installing them, I was thinking that maybe I should get another set and run them in parrallel. But honestly, you don't even need it. I don't know how they create that much energy with just 50w RMS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
so how would I hook them up to my car? I have 2 12's running off a JBL BP600.1 amp and my headunit only has 1 set of RCA Outputs.

allende5
Unregistered guest
You need another amp. You probably don't need anything fancy. I'd get pretty much get any 40-50w RMS amp that's reasonably priced. Like I said, I have an Audiobahn A2002T. I think I paid $90 on it shipped. You don't need to be concerned about SQ for the shakers.

Then if you have a sub-woofer output on your HU, EQ or x-over, just wire your shaker amp to that. That way, when you adjust the gain on your sub, the shaker adjusts with it. If you don't have a sub gain in your system, then just connect it anyway you see fit. I have mine low passed with my EQ sub output, but I don't think you necessarily need to have it low passed, since it only puts out low frequency vibrations. However, if you can cross it over one way or another to no more than 100Hnz it would probably be that much more more power effecient by not allowing your amp to waste power on the higher frequencies.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
well I allrdy have 2 amps in my car using both rca outputs, Im trying to figure a way to run these, I think the HU would run plenty of power to them?

allende5
Unregistered guest
Matthew,

That would depend on how much power your HU pushes. I wouldn't want to go less than 30w RMS. HU's don't usually put out that much. What make/model HU do you have?

BTW, I just re-read your first post. You mentioned that the best way is to put them in the back seats. Well, actually you would have to mount them in the front seats as well. They would need to be mounted to the back rest of both the driver and front passenger seats (or under their seats). Otherwise, they would not feel the thumps.

So if you have a 4 seater and you want everyone to feel the same bass, then you need 2 sets of shakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
well I have a kenwood x789 50x4 watts, I would amp them but I dont have any more rca's I guess I can use rca splitters and split the rca's on 1 of my amps

allende5
Unregistered guest
That's a 22w RMS HU. That's good for stock speakers, but probably a little on the low side for the shakers.

Yeah, if I were you I would just split off one of your RCA adapters. According to the specs on Crutchfield, your RCA pre-amp voltage is 5v, so you shouldn't lose much signal. That'll be the way to go if you can swing the extra for a cheap amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
yeah I have some cheap amp thats like 350 watts and way overrated, only prob is ill have to somehow get power and ground for it, I allready have a d block, ill just get a 3way dblock

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
would it be better if I used my legacy LA1470 800x2 channel amp, its basically crap and way underrated, so I would prolly be pushing like 100 watts to each shaker

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
how about this kicker kx200.4 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950%26item%3D5777849988% 26%26 run that to two pairs of bass shakers?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1363
Lol, reminds me of those "Magic Fingers" beds you used to see in hotels back in the day. Put a couple quarters in and jiggle to your heart's content.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3799
i think im going to buy 4 sets of those

allende5
Unregistered guest
That should be good. According to the Kicker site, it's rated at 50 x 4 @ 2ohm. So if you can bridge it to a 2 channel, it 'should' rate 100 x 2 @ 2ohm (i.e., 50 x 2 @ 4ohm). I don't know anything about kicker amps, you may just want to verifiy if you can bridge it to 2 channel.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3808
are they thin enough to put them IN my seats

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 384
you should buy some of their car subs with that 2.5in xmax and tell me how they sound :-)

allende5
Unregistered guest
Subfanatic, I was actually thinking about that myself. They're 2in x 6in...even smaller than I originally said.

It might work better IN your back rest as apposed to being mounted on them. In the Miata, I have them pinned between the back rest and the back wall of the car. The pressure put against them when I'm seated is only helping the affect. However, I am still force to have the seat one notch closer than what I usually sit. That's why I was considering putting them in the seat.

I want to find a way to perhaps get them in the seat w/o destroying the seat altogether.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3822
well i think im giong to buy 4 sets, put 1 of the devices under the buts of each seat, driver, passenger and same in the back, sorry to the middle man, no org@sm for you, and then 1 in the backs of each too and cusion them so they cant be felt, THEN put a 10 inch like, uhhh, RE 10 or somen for like 80 bucks in the back and be like, YEA!!! look what this thing can do! lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Do you think that a real car audio place like audio express or another audio place like that (not like best buy or circuit city) would install these for me when I get my speakers put in? Also I was looking on the website and they actually sell the bass shakers with an amp for them.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 724
yeh they should install it.

allende5
Unregistered guest
There's nothing to it to install them, all you need to do in connect the speaker cable to them and place them in the desired location. I'm sure anyone would do it for you if you asked.

The guy who I bought mine from on ebay said they discontinued the amp for cars, however I can't confirm that.

Man, I can't beleive how hard my car "bumps" now! It's freakin' crazy! Let me know when you get yours in.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Yeah Im having a real hard time finding the amp combo on the internet, i've only found 1. Any good real cheap amp recomendations real quick?

allende5
Unregistered guest
I'm running mine with Audiobahn A2002T. Half way decent amp and is really cheap. You should be able to pick one up on ebay for about $75-80 +shipping. It's 50w RMS @ 4ohm, so it's perfect.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Here's one. I bought all of my Audiobahn stuff from these folks. This one is $68.95. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48597%26item%3D5775993758 %26
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us