Amp cutting out

Unregistered guest
I've got two 2 channel car amps (one powering bass and one powering treble) the problem is the treble amp cuts out when I turn the bass amp up loud. If i disconnect the bass amp i can turn the treble up as loud as i like and vica versa.

Does the battery not have enough power to supply both? would a capacitor fix this?

1 mutant 2 x 80w RMS at 4 ohms
1 reactor 2 x 100W @ 2 ohms

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 12
First of all take a look at your wiring, power and ground and let us know what you have reguarding wire gauge and length. Have you got good grounds? verified with a dmm? Distrobution block? Let us know your wiring setup and report back to us.

zootreeves
Unregistered guest
Ok I've found the problem. I did not realise you didn't need to run the negative wire back to the battery, which i had done before. I have just earthed it on the cars frame instead and it works fine now.

Bronze Member
Username: Basshd

Post Number: 15
Good to know you have found the source of your problem, you are right running back to the battery for the ground of your amplifier is not needed and can be a hindrance, especially if it is a long run.

hot amp
Unregistered guest
hey I got a question, why does my amp cut out when I listen to my radio full blast for ten minutes on the freeway? if I turn it off and the volume down it comes back, but cuts out if I crank it. I noticed the amp can get pretty hot,could this be the reason? if so, how do I go aboutfixing it?
thanks for your help

hotamp
Unregistered guest
bump

Username: M3chman

Post Number: 6
It is probably your amp overheating. Check your ground, make sure your using a large enough gauge wire (I'm using 4 gauge on mine, heh). Also, check your ventilation - maybe it just needs a breath of fresh air. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1260
Also make sure your subs are wired to present an acceptable load to the amp. 9 times out of 10 an overheating amp that shuts off is a result of driving a load lower than what it was designed for.

-Fishy

Username: Ryanoc

Post Number: 7
I have the same problem. What kind of amp do you have "hotamp"? I have a kicker 200.2 bridged. I have a dual 2ohm sub wired in series giving me 4ohm but it still gets very hot quick. I still need to check the ground wire though.

hotamp
Unregistered guest
my amp is a soundstream ega1000.4x and my sub is a dual 2 ohm wired in series so it gets 440watts bridged at 4 ohms and the other channels are running my speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 84
I have the same problem, my subs and kappas were cutting in and out, I checked the ground and the screw was loose when I tightened it, it was fine but the kappas still shut off when I turn it too high, the amp stays on though...mybe its the crossover?

hotamp
Unregistered guest
the amp is underneath my backseat of my ext cab truck so it geta decent airflow and channels three and four are bridged to my sub which is run in series to get a four ohm load so I can't figure it out.

hotamp
Unregistered guest
bump

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 556
Would there be anyway to run a small external fan to the amp to get added air flow?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 557
I'm not sure but I think I saw a thread a while back back about adding a computer fan, and having it powered by oe of the LED lights electricity, but I may be mistaken, just a thought.

Bronze Member
Username: Ryanoc

Post Number: 12
That was my problem, the apm was only designed to run at 4ohm bridged but the dual coil sub was at 2ohm. When I redid the sub config all was good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us