Subwoofer Overheating

Bronze Member
Username: Kit

Australia

Post Number: 29
Hi i got 2 2" DVC 2ohm alpine type s (300watt rms each) runnin of a M501 (550watt rms) and the are in a sealed box and when i took em out afer about a 30 min run the magnet felt really really hot and i know they shouldn't be overheating that much. do u think i am runnin that gains on the digital amp too high because they are runnin on half of wat the max gains are on it?

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1189
chances are that alpine amp you've got there is underrated, so you're running them at there RMS or possibly a touch over it...subs overheat. You could also be sending is raw power instaead of actual musical waves...thats could be causing the overheating problem....next time feel the cone, if the cones if hot or warm then you've got youself a problem...

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 196
sounds like your clipping. when u clip u actually send about double your rms power but its a square signal which will damage your speakers and without any extra excursion on the subs they heat up pretty quick

Bronze Member
Username: Kit

Australia

Post Number: 30
JEFF - i dont think the amp is being underrated because i have the test certificate from alpine and its 550 or about 553.3 watts @ 2ohm @ 14.4volts so yeah. What do you mean i might be sending actual raw power? i am pretty sure the cone is hot or warm its jus the back magnet

ALPINETHUMPING - how is it that i am clipping and how is it that i am sending a square signal?

Silver Member
Username: Pharoh

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 101
You are putting out to much on ur amp and its not giving the sub what it needs or ur putting out to much so ur amps clipping which isnt good for either. It says 553.3watt @ 2ohm's, that may be your problem. Make sure its 553 watts *RMS* and not *PEAK* power.

"what do you mean i might be sending actual raw power? i am pretty sure the cone is hot or warm its jus the back magnet"

What... lol. are they both hot and warm or is it just the Magnet cause thats a little confusing

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1265
did you build the box that they are in? i know off topicish. just play with it and see what settings dont overheast your subs, what type of music are you playing them too? well the magnet gets hotter then the cone, first.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1375
I've noticed that my subs cones get pretty warm, is this something to worry about? They are running a little under rms, and at the right ohm's.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1268
how long do you run them for? usually it means it getting very close to thermal power handling capabilities

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1377
Around 1 hour, I listen to rap, so it is constant hard hitting bass.
My sub's are 500 watts rms, and I'm giving them 400 rms.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1314
your problems could be do to either clipping or overexcursion as well which can cause overheating. I would turn the gains down first as see if your problem subsides. If you find its from excursion and not clipping i would say you could make a smaller enclosure to be able to apply more power which in turn usually improves spl scores.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 955
You could build a ported enclosure and use a subsonic filter if its tuned fairly high. Ports limit a driver's excursion at the box's tuning frequency and since the box is vented those subs might run a bit cooler as well. A subsonic filter @ about 1/3 an octave below tuning would help keep the subs from unloading below port resonance.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 122
my sub heats up real warm all the time, no degredation in sq or spl I even have 100 over rated rms for the sub, so if you buy quality sh*t no worries
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us