JL W6v2

Silver Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 199
As I have begun constructing my new system Ive been wondering about the sub. Would it be worth the "downgrade" (if you consider it that) from a 12" RE X.X.X, ported, to a JL 12W6v2 (sealed or ported) because it only takes 1/4 the power and for me that could be crucial (I don't know yet though).

Also which amp would you use? MTX Thunder 421D (420x1 RMS @ 2 ohms), or the Orion 600D (400x1 @ 2 ohms) Thanks

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2324
it is fine if thats what you want to do. remembe that you are going to be losing a good amount of SPL if you go to a w6v2 sealed. I would go ported if anything tuned to like 30htz. JL recomends a tune of 38 or so but I would tune lower then that but thats just me. The REXXX is a much better sub as far as SPL goes so if you are OK with ,losing that then I guess its a fine move. I would also run it off of a better amp then both of those two that you mentioned. I would look on ebay you can get a JL 500/1 for a decent price. I would do that. I am installing my 12w6v2 and an orion HCCA 250g4 tonight in my buddy's carI will let you know how that sounds.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 201
alright, taht would be good to hear how that works out. Where and How much is that HCCA 250g4?
I don't want to sacrifice a tone of SL either, but the caps and alternator could run up the bill some. Is the SPL that different? b/c if it is then you just made my decision 3x tougher. Its okay though I wanna kno what Im gettin into.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2328
the REXXX will absloutely blow the w6v2 away in the SPL department. As far as SQ the 12w6v2 has very good SQ and in a ported enclosure has the ability to get loud also but not as loud as the REXXX. If you want good SQ and run a little amount of power run the w6v2 in a ported box tuned low. thats what I would do. I have run this sub in sealed and ported enclosures and in the ported is where it shine's.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 202
Well if I get the W6v2 it will probably be in the HO Box made by JL, its such a tough decision though. I have a small sports car, its a Mazda MX6 if you think that would make a difference. I think the trunkcould handle either sub, but I'm not sure about the car, lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us