6 12w6 in caddy

Bronze Member
Username: Gakel05

Florida Usa

Post Number: 12
per previos thread, i have decided to be safe and go ahead and get 6 12w6s for my caddy escalade, i am putting them in a sealed indiviudally devided box, and they will be aimed straight up at the roof, is there any body out there that does not think this will hit sickly obnoxially loud and clear, please let me know, they will be pushed by 2 1000/1 jl amps, and will be dynomatted in the back. what do yall think???

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 85
Get 3 1000/1's and it will be a flawless system, and maybe get emm fiberglass enclosed or aim emm different, anyway you do it, it will beat redicuosly.

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 85
i agree get 3 amps instead of 2 will sound much better. what about capacitors and alternators and battery? u keeping those stock without a few caps?

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1007
personally i think it'll just be a waste of money and/or never happen.... hope you have a good car alarm as well...

Username: Boomingdub1331

Post Number: 9
3 jl 1k's? ... hope cadilac has upped there quality on there engines because that will drain the piss out of it.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 78
I think your full of .......I think it will sound great .

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1051
Yep, need 3 1000/1's, and a new alternator, and some sound dedner.

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 13
i have a yellow top optima battery and will be upgrading to a 200 amp altinater, i dont see what the heck i need 3 amps for, 1 jl 1000/1 was beating the bajesus out of 2 w6s, i was told by my installers that it would give each woofer just under their nominal power, i would have to question anybody saying i need 3 amps. yall must own stock in JL AUDIO...all jokes aside, i was expecting an unanamous YES IT WILL SOUND SICK...i guess we will find out. what if any would be a downfall, other than not having 3 amps???

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 150
okay heres what you have to do... go with 4 13w6v2s with those 2 1000/1s ... i think that would be much better...save room and get lower... as well as give the subs the perfect amount of power

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 14
how can 4 13.5 inch woofers get lower than 6 12 inch woofers, where is the logic to that, there is so much more surface space on the 6 woofers, and per this forum, that is more important then the type of speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 680
Larger woofers generally play lower(even 500 6W0's's wouldn't drop as well as one 12) and 6 12W6's only have about 16% more effective piston area than 4 13W6's.

I'd like to know what you plan on running for mids and highs to keep up with all this. If you plan on adding any other amps I'm not sure a 200 watt alternator will be enough. You'll certainly be taxing your electrical system when a/c, headlights, windshield wipers, etc. are imployed along with a cranked system.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 15
the only other amp will be a jl 450/4 running 2 sets of MB quart psd series components, i was told that w/ the xtra alt and xtra battery, i will be str8.i guess i can get a bigger alt to be safe. i will get some other opions about the matter, as we all know opions are like a**holes, we all have one, and they usally stink.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 153
george... actually there was a lot of logic to it but fishy already set ya straight lol... where in FL are u located i;d love to hear your system when its done if your near tampa

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 682
An extra battery will only help when running your system with the engine off, but a 200 amp alternator might do it. Once you get above 200 amps alternator prices start goin up purty quick.

A quick and dirty way to get a conservative estimate on how much curent you need is to add up all the fuse values on the amps and add say 60 or 70 amps for your accessories.

Glass is the expert in this area however and would probably recommend even a larger alternator than what my crude formula would dictate. If you go with the 200 amp see if you can get a digital volt gauge mounted up front somewhere so you can keep an eye on your voltage. I transfereed the digital readout from my cap to the half din space below my h/u and covered it with a piece of lexan. Looks pretty cool actually.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1068
lol the way i understand it is this. take each amp and there rms rating...devide it by 12, better safe than sorry, so if its 1200 rms its 100 ok...just to be easy lol...if its a class d amp..add 20 percent so its 120, thats for 1 amp, around 60 for all the other stuff in your car, so with that one amp you will need a 170 amp alt, and if its an a/b amp you will need to add 40 percetn...thats how i think it goes lol...maybe wrong

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 683
With Subfan's formula:

2 x 1000/1 = 2*(1000/12)*1.2 = 200 amps

+

1 x 450/4 = (450/12)*1.4 = 52.5 amps

+

accessories = 60 amps

= 200 + 52.5 + 60 = 312.5 amps

With the fish formula:

I forgot! JL's ain't got no external fuses, but this is their recommendations for at the battery.

2 x 1000/1 = 100 + 100 = 200 amps

+

1 x 450/4 = 60 amps

+

accessories = 60 amps

= 200 + 60 + 60 = 320 amps

Pretty close

I like my method. Its simple and probably works better for the more crappier stuff out there. Manufacturers may lie about their power ratings but current draw @ 12 volts don't lie..... well I guess they could install an abnormally large fuse, but that would be dumb even for Sony.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1079
welll fishy...also...i like your method lol...but jl's amps are great on power...like the 500/1 only has a 47 amp draw from your battery and alt full power..and i think somsone told me the 1000/1 is like 80..i fogot about that...lol

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 684
Those figures may be at 14 volts(would be higher at 12), but yeah, I don't think he needs a 300 amp alternator either. You'd have to be running with a lot of clipping or white noise at full volume to get a constant 207 amp current draw with those three amps. Doubt you'd have a problem with actual "music", but the added accessories might pose a problem for a 200 amper.

Thats why I recommended a voltage gauge, so he knows when to turn down the tunes, or if he's feeling brave..... heck, who needs them headlights or windshield wipers anyways?

-Fishy :P

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1086
i dont....god knows that

Silver Member
Username: Aaaavv

Post Number: 124
a 200 amp alternator should be fine as long as hes not pushing his system to hard, but a little bigger would be better

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 16
i am in jacksonville fl, and am am going to go w/ my gut and get the 6 12w6s, i have got conflicting info on whether 4 13w6s will sound better than 6 12w6s, so i am go w/ the more the merrier theory, far as the altinater, i will try to go as large as i can, this is something i have no knowledge of, any good name brands, i hear MEAN GREEN is pretty good and cost effective. any suggestions...what i am trying to do Tampa Boy is get it where you can hear from where i am at now...hahahahah

Bronze Member
Username: Importrapist

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 37
How much do each one of those JL speakers cost????

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1127
350-400

Bronze Member

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 41
Jesus, thats alot of money!!!! BIG BALLER GEORGE ha ha ha

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1133
haha yea...me and my poor folk lol

Bronze Member

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 44
ha ha ha ha ha

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 17
damn str8 i am a baller, that system should be finished tomorrow...i will let yall know if it is sick or just good

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1294
its not gonig to be just good...its giong to be completly bada$$, just downright crazy

Bronze Member
Username: Jlojko

Post Number: 23
that sucks i get em for somethin like 180 a pop

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1325
how the hell do you geth them so cheap

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
if you know the right people its even possible to get em for free. i got the w6 and a 500/1 for 600 even. not too shabby.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1330
b*aster lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
yea man i cant get jl at those prices all the time but if ur intrested i can always get prices like that on other manufactures....if u want anything ask me weather or not i can get it and ill try to get a price.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1342
any chance you could get me a good price on an ednine.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
who makes it?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1344
elemental design...i need a good amp that puts out like 750-1000 watts rms at 2 or 8 ohms lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
my bad, didnt think about that one, no i cant get good prices on elemental designs, anything major, infinity, panasonic, pioneer, pg, soundstream, clarion, sony(dont get many requests tho), momo, and i think MTX but im not sure i can check tho.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1346
lol, i must kno how...nice connections lol

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 195
hey joe what can you get a JL 500/1 for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
sorry meant cant get jl all the time i can only get other stuff

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 199
oh alright... well what about zapco... i doubt it but hey its worth a try lol

or xtant lol

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 18
system is in and bumping, not completely finished but i heard it being tested and all i can say is there is not going to be many people that can get w/ me now, maybe competion grade cars but thats would be it, it sounds sooo clean, who ever said i need 3 jl 1000/1 would have been seriosly mistaken, it might have been a little louder, but not worth the price, plus even in my Escalade i am low on room for anymore equitment...i will try to get a picture so any of you gits on this site can see what a real deal system looks like.hahahaha no seriosly, it is a basic design but clean anf very effective along w/ ost effective. Check yall later

Shab
Unregistered guest
gits? I bet your some 16 year old kid.. anyways I hope you dumb@ss didn't leave your car registeration in the glove compartment when you took it to get subs installed. Cause they will just end up comming to your address and stealing the stuff you just bought from them!!

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1419
lol i bet it sounds pretty nice! did u get it metered while you were there

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 19
no, they dont have one, i will let yall know when i do

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1435
ok cool thanks

Bronze Member

Florida Usa

Post Number: 20
whoever said i am a 16yr old, is just flattering me, your about ten yrs off...and i dare someone to come to my house and try to take my stuff, hect i will put my address on here right now and leave the keys on the front steps...if you knew me, you would take that back. Plus you would need the crew from Oceans 11 to pull that off.

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 142
your a stup1d 26 yr old...

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1040
^^^^

agreed

Bronze Member
Username: Steelheadgoof

Fairfield, California US

Post Number: 11
Now all you need to worry about is actually hearing your music. That system is sick, but personally I think you went over board. Your system is not competition grade, subs are the icing on the cake. You need just the right amount, and the right taste. You are going to need a serious set of components to play over all that icing. MB Quart Qs in the front on a 300/2 will be nice, If you do not care about the people in the back. Any good system requires balance and tone. You have some serious balancing to do.

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 87
Still should get the 3 1000/1's and it will be to the fullest SQ/SPL

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 747
I own a pair of 5 1/4" Q's running off an Xtant 4180c @ 180 watts each with a pair of 10w3's at 250 watts each(1001dx) for bass and I'm tellin ya right now one pair of 6 1/2 Q's will nowhere near keep up with 6 12's. I know 5 1/4's aren't as efficient for midbass and all but my two 10's just plain wallop my Quarts.

If I want to listen to anything in the classical genre my sub gain has to come way down or it sounds like crapola.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us