Just thought of something cool and was curious of your opinion

Anonymous

okay i was just randomly thinking and i thought "what would happen if you had ported and selaed enclosures" like what i mean is say you had 3 subs.. and they were all in their own box... but 2 of them were ported and one was sealed... would something screw up with the sound or would it still sound great and get loud... im sure i need expert advice on this one...

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 50
That would be cool if it gave you the crispness of a sealed and the extension and SPL of the ported.

Anonymous

yes it would be more than cool it would be awesome! .. i take it you dont know what the outcome would be though?

Bronze Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 44
i don't think it would sound good because the sealed would hit hardest at one frequency while the ported sub isn't helping and vice versa. thats just what i think

a friend was thinking about adding a 15 to the 3 10's he already has and trying to tune the amps (1 for the 15 and 1 for the 10's) where the 15 plays the lower frequencies and the 10's play the higher ones. any oppinions on that?

Anonymous

i have heard repeatedly that mixing different sized subs is not a good idea... however i do not know about the sealed and ported box setup

Bronze Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 46
all i've heard on the size mixing is that its really hard to tune and make it sound right.

anyone got extra subs, amps and a sealed and ported box laying around to find out?? lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3411
If you want the "crispness of sealed, output of ported" then you simply need to build a better ported box. Ported is capable of sounding just as clean and tight as sealed does as long as you're doing it right, and you'll get more output in the process. Your typical prefab ported box isn't anywhere near optimal for the majority of subwoofers, they use boxes that are too small and ports that are tuned high and have less than adequate port area, resulting in port noise, boomy output, and the performance of a leaky sealed box. Look at $20,000 home equipment, you'll see it's ported. As far as the combo deal with sealed and ported, the ported would be louder and drown out the sealed. The key to a well built ported box is to use a good size, a large port surface area, and a low tune. Then it boils down to build quality of the box and choosing a sub that will perform well in it.

Anonymous

thanks alot jonathan .... for destroying my good idea...lol just messin... without destroying it i would have done it and it would have turned out to be a disaster lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us