DVC vs SVC

Bronze Member
Username: Bigjay

Post Number: 50
Ok, question. Other than the extra wiring possibilities available, what are the differences between DVC and SVC subwoofers. I have 2 choices right now for my truck. Run 2 Infinity Perfect 10.1d DVC subs(rated at 350RMS) at 4ohms with an MTX Thunder1501d amp that is rated at 750x1@4ohms or run 2 Infinity Perfect 10.1SVC subs(rated at 350RMS) with an MTX Thunder801d that is rated at 800x1@2ohms. Which is the better choice to go with in this.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1458
All things being equal, go with DVC subs. They are more flexible. In terms of power and sound quality, there is no difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
bump

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
I don't know whether to believe this or not so I figure it is best to ask here. According to crutchfield, if I use the MTX thunder 1501d amp with the DVC subs, my sound will be more distored cause I have to run at 4ohms so the amp will not push out as much power as the 801 would running at 2ohms with the SVC subs. Can anyone verify this or give me some more information on this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1472
Are you joking? That MTX amp is underrated so you will get more than 500w @13.8v. You stated that the subs are 350w rms, so if the amp put out 600w, then each sub will see 300w rms. There is no way anyone with knowledge and experience in electronics, can make a statement like that.
Either that's a misprint or a very stupid person.
Besides, no 4 ohm subs are exactly 4ohms. Some are slightly higher or less. So chances are by the time you hook them up, you might be down to 3.5ohms or even 3ohms total.
Like I said before, I'd go with DVC subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
No one ever said that Crutchfields advisors were all that great in the information they give. I liked the fact to use DVC subs and the 1501d amp is rated at 750x1 @ 4 ohms and the way I need to wire these will be either in 4 ohms or 1 ohm and I haven't been able to find a 1 ohm stable amp in my price range.

Question now, what is the difference in running at 4 ohms compared to 2 ohms or 1 ohm, is there a best or better out of these based on power and sound and clarity?

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 29
I got a Hifonics BX1500D thats 1 ohm stable for $250 @ www.woofersetc.com

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 595
hey dankman I doubt he would want to take a step down from the MTX to the HiFonics! If you are looking for a good 1ohm stable amp look into teh JBL BP series. Very affordable and good quality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1492
There is one amp that's very much in your price range. Orion HCCA 250G4.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
I was sticking to the MTX as I have heard and been told many times that they are really good amps. How are JBL's in comparison? I would like to find a good 1 ohm stable amp if I could that is not tons of money. I noticed that Rockford Fosgate has them but then the problem comes that I need to find subs to match. The infinities that I am looking at are rated only to 350 RMS and most 1 ohm amps that I found are rated at 1000RMS

yyey64
Unregistered guest
the memphis 1000d is 1 ohm stable and a very good amp.

TRAVISTHEMAN
Unregistered guest
MORE power is ALWAYS better, just turn down the gain, you will not blow the subs if you have the gain properley set, and they will not distort

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3245
"MORE power is ALWAYS better, just turn down the gain, you will not blow the subs if you have the gain properley set, and they will not distort"

Not always. Gain isn't a volume knob either and has nothing to do with the amount of power the amp will produce. The amp will still eventually reach it's rated power even if the head unit can't put out the maximum rated input for the amp, the head unit will eventually clip and put out enough power to drive that amp into clipping and maximum output. Gains have to be properly matched. I do believe in overpowering to an extent, but not excessive like putting 500 watts on a component system rated at 100. A/B and Class D amps are least efficient at low volumes, and distortion is highest at low volumes. Their distortion is lowest just below the point of clipping. When you overpower excessively all you will do is draw more current at the same power level while offering no benefit in distortion characteristics, damping, or overall SQ. A well built amp will offer plenty of power for transients as the power supply can provide tons more current than required for RMS power.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 458
Hi Jonathan :-)

btw, well spoken up there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us